What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Support for a blind friend.

BboyPhilo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi peeps.

My friend Jane who is completely blind is having problems with her I-pad mini 2 when using the voice search. The ipad always records the command "speak now" (or whatever the phrase is) as well as what she asks it to search for. ie if she searches for "Healthy puddings" the search lists 'Speak now healthy puddings"
Is there any way to stop it recording it's own 'speak now' voice?
NB This is when she uses Youtube

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Siri is the only voice search I'm familiar with. Can you add more details, like what app(s) she is using and the actual steps involved?

What little I know:

Siri search can be activated in two ways.

1: By holding down the home button until the iPad beeps, speaking your request, then releasing the home button.

2: By saying "Hey Siri" (only when the iPad is plugged into power and must be turned on in Settings > General > Siri). This does indeed show the Hey Siri phrase at the beginning, but the actual search results are not affected by it. You can safely ignore the "Hey Siri" at the beginning. The iPad knows to ignore it when searching.

I played with Voice Over turned on and could find no difference in the behavior of Siri (button or "Hey Siri". The iPad never told me to "Speak Now" or anything similar. It just beeps to let you know that it's listening.

Note: Just found out you can turn on/off VoiceOver with Siri. Cool.

Most reactions

Latest posts