What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck in Apple Logo - Ipad1 with 5.01 JB

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,All of a sudden, (after having run out of battery and then using a mobile battery) my iPad 1 with 5.01 JB gets stuck on the Apple Logo and can't start up anymore.Reading online, it seems that the recommendation is to enter DFU mode and then do a restore. I tried to do that and restore using the ipsw for 5.01 but an error message appears; I reckon I can't do this anymore now that Apple is on 5.1.1? Or am I wrong?Anyhow, can someone let me know the steps for restoration bearing in mind the most important thing to me is to keep existing data intact. i should have a backup file quite recently but it is on 5.0.1.My questions are.Do I DFU, then Restore, then JB then Restore from Backup? Or DFU, then Restore then Restore from Backup then JB? Or?Can a 5.01 backup work if my iPad gets updated to 5.1.1?Any help in the exact steps for restoration, again bearing in mind the main importance of data preservation, will be deeply appreciated.Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you have a recent backup, my recommendation is to restore the iPad to iOS 5.1.1 via iTunes (no DFU mode needed - just press the "Restore" button), jailbreak it again with Absinthe (if you wish to jail break it again) and then "restore from backup" (again, via iTunes). This will get you to the most current iOS and with your backup, it'll be just as before.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn :)

Just to check, I had heavily used FolderEnhancer and spent a great deal of time to rearrange icons and all; will these be lost?

Im also wondering about my other Cydia app settings and all - don't think these are covered in the iTunes Backup.

So basically you recommend

(1) Restore to 5.1.1
(2) Jailbreak (ie ignore iTunes' call to set up new ipad or restore from backup).
(3) Restore from Backup (only after (2) is done).
(4) Carry on with Cydia apps one by one.

Correct?

Since you have a recent backup, my recommendation is to restore the iPad to iOS 5.1.1 via iTunes (no DFU mode needed - just press the "Restore" button), jailbreak it again with Absinthe (if you wish to jail break it again) and then "restore from backup" (again, via iTunes). This will get you to the most current iOS and with your backup, it'll be just as before.

Good luck.

Marilyn

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just to check, I had heavily used FolderEnhancer and spent a great deal of time to rearrange icons and all; will these be lost?

Im also wondering about my other Cydia app settings and all - don't think these are covered in the iTunes Backup.

(1) Restore to 5.1.1
(2) Jailbreak (ie ignore iTunes' call to set up new ipad or restore from backup).

Correct?

Other cydia app settings will be cached (saved) majority of the time. restore to 5.1.1 then jailbreak from the restored ipad then SYNC not restore. Then add the cydia apps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

(1) Restore to 5.1.1

Correct?
Yeah, iTunes doesn't take care of Cydia tweaks for backup/restore purposes. So, more than likely, those changes to/with Folder Enhancer will be lost.

You could buy a Cydia tweak backup program such as PKGBackup which, when run, will backup your Cydia stuff so that you can restore them all at once with that tweak's restore function. However, I am suspicious that there was something else that caused your problem in the first place. There is no reason that running the battery down should mess up your iPad so badly that you have to restore it. So, I think you have a bad or incompatible tweak loaded. Using a backup program and then restoring from it will just put the potentially bad stuff right back on the iPad. Of course - that's your call (cause PKGBackup, even at $7.99, USD, is SO worth it and an incredible time saver).

Yeah, you'll lose the time invested in setting up your folders (believe me, I KNOW the pain that will be!), but, as you pointed out, you want to make sure to only install the "good" stuff on the iPad. So, I'd restore and then individually load the Cydia tweaks - so you can ensure they all work properly as you install them...

Other than that, I think you've got it. Oh, and in step two - you WANT to set the iPad up as new (as in: don't ignore that iTunes prompt). All that will do is the bare minimum (get you signed into WiFi, use/don't use iCloud, etc), which doesn't matter because, after the jail break, you will run the "restore from backup" option (from a right click action in iTunes) that will put your old settings back on anyway.

Again, it'll be time-consuming. But, at the end, you should have a "well behaved" iPad - which is the goal. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts