What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange smart cover behavior?

Wildhog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad mini 2 with a non-Apple smart cover. I had the glass replaced recently because it was cracked.

The strange thing is when the iPad's battery is above 95% or so the smart cover feature doesn't work; like it's turned off. It only works with a lower battery level.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The level of battery charge really should not affect the operation of the cover. Did Apple or an Apple approved company repair the screen? The other concern is that the cover may be faulty.

OP
W

Wildhog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took it to a local place to replace the screen. They've serviced my iPhone before with no problems.

It's definitely not the cover as I can reproduce the effect with refrigerator magnets too.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I took it to a local place to replace the screen. They've serviced my iPhone before with no problems.

It's definitely not the cover as I can reproduce the effect with refrigerator magnets too.
Your local repairer may have damaged the sleep sensor.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats a smart cover anyways. I never had one.
A smart cover is attached to the iPad and locks the screen of the iPad when you put it over the display, so you don't have to do that manually.
IMG_2607.JPG

Apple

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Smart Cover sensor is built into the screen. When you screen was replaced so was the sensor. A lot of repair shops use low quality iPad screens ( I use the highest quality I can find) and the results are issues as you have described amongst others.

OP
W

Wildhog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After some more experimenting it doesn't seem to be related to the battery level.

I've noticed that the smart cover function doesn't work after charging or after having the iPad on top of the microwave oven.

It looks like if the screen is on for a while, like watching a video, then the functionality returns. Maybe having the screen off for a long time is the problem?

My understanding is that the glass and the screen are separate in the iPad mini 2. Is the cover sensor built into the glass or the screen?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There would be several magnetic switches built in, under the edge of the screen. The magnets built into the edge of a Smart Cover are placed to activate the magnetic switches on the iPad. The circumstances under which your Smart Cover won't work are not normal. The action of a Smart Cover should not be affected in the way yours is. You probably ended up with a defective screen assembly when you had it repaired.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After some more experimenting it doesn't seem to be related to the battery level.

I've noticed that the smart cover function doesn't work after charging or after having the iPad on top of the microwave oven.

It looks like if the screen is on for a while, like watching a video, then the functionality returns. Maybe having the screen off for a long time is the problem?

My understanding is that the glass and the screen are separate in the iPad mini 2. Is the cover sensor built into the glass or the screen?

The glass and LCD are separate and yes the sensor is built into the glass portion ( actually it's part of the home button circuit which is integrated into the glass assembly. )

Remember correlation does not equal causation. The odds are that you just have a wonky sensor and the charge level or microwave have nothing to do with it.

My suggestion, turn off the cover sensor in settings , turn on 5 minute auto lock and carry on.

OP
W

Wildhog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up taking it back since they have a lifetime warranty and they replaced the glass for free. Now the cover works perfectly.

Most reactions

Latest posts