What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange icloud request

WW2Vet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I obtained an iPad from my son...and it has worked flawlessly on all matters .....suddenly Out of the blue, Iam getting a request/window that says"the username or password for iCloud is incorrect" and my iPad is not able to access mail or iPad forum on it....everything else works fine...my son cannot remember his icloud password or hi Apple ID or password oft the unit si I cannot rest any of these...I tried to rest the unit to factory setting but am not able as I do not know his Apple ID?...Is there any other way to get rid of this problem or is there a way to reset to factory settings if you do not know the Apple ID ??

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I obtained an iPad from my son...and it has worked flawlessly on all matters .....suddenly Out of the blue, Iam getting a request/window that says"the username or password for iCloud is incorrect" and my iPad is not able to access mail or iPad forum on it....everything else works fine...my son cannot remember his icloud password or hi Apple ID or password oft the unit si I cannot rest any of these...I tried to rest the unit to factory setting but am not able as I do not know his Apple ID?...Is there any other way to get rid of this problem or is there a way to reset to factory settings if you do not know the Apple ID ?? .........
Is the iPad on iOS 7, with Find My iPhone turned on? If so, there is no way of restoring the iPad to factory settings without your son's Apple ID and password. There is, unfortunately, no way around the requirement to enter the Apple ID and password of the original owner, your son in this case.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have your son go here: Apple ID: How to find your Apple ID

And work through the support stuff to recover his Apple ID and password issue resolved. Once he has done that you can use it to recover the iPad.

I highly recommend you get your own Apple ID and start using it. Your son's ID belongs to him, and only him, as far as Apple is concerned. If there are problems down the road you will find it difficult to resolve support issues through Apple. You'll lose any apps or content that he purchased that he purchased in the short term, but that's the price you'll have to pay if you are going to manage your own iPad.

If you and your son decide to keep things as they are, with him doing all your support and upgrading, make sure he takes care to remember his Apple ID and password from now on.

Most reactions

Latest posts