What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing .mac mail in local folders on iPad

Yamatai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you create local mailbox folders on the iPad if you have a MobileMe account with Apple. I want to move all my mail from an obsolete Mac Pro's local Mailboxes onto the iPad until I can afford a new Mac laptop. I plan to create a set of mailboxes under the inbox and on the old Mac move mail to those mailboxes in chunks, dumping them into local folders on the iPad. Is this doable? Need to do this before MobileMe accounts go to the Cloud at end of June.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yamatai said:
Can you create local mailbox folders on the iPad if you have a MobileMe account with Apple. I want to move all my mail from an obsolete Mac Pro's local Mailboxes onto the iPad until I can afford a new Mac laptop. I plan to create a set of mailboxes under the inbox and on the old Mac move mail to those mailboxes in chunks, dumping them into local folders on the iPad. Is this doable? Need to do this before MobileMe accounts go to the Cloud at end of June.

Yes you can. Go to your mail app, go to the mobile me account, press edit. Down on the lower left corner is the button for new mailbox. Press that and create a new mailbox folder.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
Y

Yamatai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you can. Go to your mail app, go to the mobile me account, press edit. Down on the lower left corner is the button for new mailbox. Press that and create a new mailbox folder.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you. Mailbox was created easily. Do you know if these mailboxes count towards the online storage size limit of your MobileMe account, formerly called a .mac account. I have lots of saved mail to transfer from old Mac to the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Creating mailboxes this way does not store the mail on the iPad.

Your best bet to save your mailboxes from your MobileMe account is to migrate to iCloud. If you have local mailboxes on your Mac, you can create a new one in iCloud, then move the emails to them. It might be possible to move the entire folder. This might take a while.

Yes, mail counts against your iCloud storage. However, if you are already paying for a MobileMe account Apple gives you the equivalent extra storage automatically. It will need to be renewed roughly the same time your MobileMe account would have been due. On the other hand, 20GB of extra iCloud costs $40, less than half what it cost under MobileMe.

Once all your email is in iCloud, it will be easy to get it on the new Mac, by simply adding your iCloud account. Then is if some of the archive folders are cramping your available space, you can copy them back to local folders on the computer.

That is one way.

The other is to make archives of you folders on the Mac now, save them on a USB Drive or CD, then import them when the new Mac arrives.

At any rate, you're going to want to migrate off of MobileMe, and soon. Do it while you'll have time to make sure you saved everything you want.

Most reactions

Latest posts