What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing files on iPad

DeanH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad user. Frequest user of excel, word, powerpoint for work. Tight restrictions on downloading software to work PC (so touch to download dropbox or something like that on my work PC).

iPad synced with work MS Outlook for e-mail, calendar, and contacts.

Question: I frequently get e-mails with excel, word, or powerpoint files attached. In some cases I would like to save the file on my iPad for future reference without having to keep the e-mail, open the e-mail and click on the attachment everytime I want to reference the file.

I've read about Docs to go, iWork, Dropbox and a few others but without being able to download files to my work PC, is there a way to save a file on the iPad itself?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,

DeanH

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad user. Frequest user of excel, word, powerpoint for work. Tight restrictions on downloading software to work PC (so touch to download dropbox or something like that on my work PC).

iPad synced with work MS Outlook for e-mail, calendar, and contacts.

Question: I frequently get e-mails with excel, word, or powerpoint files attached. In some cases I would like to save the file on my iPad for future reference without having to keep the e-mail, open the e-mail and click on the attachment everytime I want to reference the file.

I've read about Docs to go, iWork, Dropbox and a few others but without being able to download files to my work PC, is there a way to save a file on the iPad itself?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,

DeanH

Not sure this will solve it all for you but get goodreader app.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
+1 for Goodreader.

Just for the halibut :)D), I e-mailed myself four files: a PDF, a Word (.docx), a PowerPoint (ppt) and an Excel (.xls) file. I was able to press/hold on the attachments to get the "Open In" dialog - and I picked open in GoodReader and they all opened fine.

Note that you can't DO anything with the files - Goodreader just allows you to view them (well, as far as I can tell). But, you can look at 'em.

GoodReader is great for file management for many reasons:

1) It actually stores the documents you open with it, it's not just "pulling" the data from your e-mail (I know because I deleted my test e-mail, yet was still able to open any/all of the documents).

2) GoodReader also has an "Open In" feature. So, if you wish, you can further move that document around in your iPad (for example, open a .ppt file in Docs2Go...). So, in a way, you can edit the files - just use Goodreader to open them in another editing app, should you need to.

3) You can upload files to Dropbox from within Goodreader. That way, they are accessible anywhere.

Overall, Goodreader is an excellent app for file management of documents, pictures, music, videos, etc. It is one of the apps that, IMNSHO, is very inexpensive - but operates WAY above it's price class.

As always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Documents To Go for the very things you have mentioned. I also use DropBox for my file holding site. Those files I want available at times where I will not have a wifi connection available I store onto the iPads internal memory.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:ipad-keyboard: Save2PDF app in the Appstore of course...

It allows importing files from email as well as web pages ftp and the best is any app that allows Print feature, as long as Save2PDF is running in the background it can be selected then save the file while naming it and as it does, saves it as a PDF.
It doesn't matter if the file is an excel, word, pages, numbers, html etc.. it gets saved as a PDF and has a good folder structure for organizing as well.

Once a file is saved in Save2PDF, you can also add or combine other document types or PDF's all as one PDF file. You can also add pages of notes within that PDF and/or pictures as either full photos or within a note page, which drastically minimizes the file size instead of importing large photos they are somehow **reduced in file size to maintain a smaller pdf for later emailing.

** Not for great detail, for better quality or more detail, use the original photo imported to a full page layout.

Personally while on a job site, I import the files I need for that particular job in its own child folder under a main project folder.
I then open individual or combined pdf's into other apps like HandySign or SignMyPDF to annotate. I sometimes even create archives of photos in GoodReader to add with my end project along with the embedded smaller detailed photos within the annotated PDF for the clients viewing pleasure.

End result is everything can end back up in the projects folder in Save2PDF and emailed or printed from there. My ultimate goal working with these apps daily is then to be able at the end of a project when a company requests it, attach said files within a web page, which just cant be done right now from iPad 1 or 2.

But I remain optimistic and "where there's a will, there's a way".

I am not associated with the Save2PDF developer or any other App mentioned hereto. Just a happy customer that is also never completely satisfied with any apps performance because I can certainly always find something it still needs to do for me. :ipad-back:

Calipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to store a couple hundred docs in alphabetical order for easy recall. (For a musicians songbook) Is that asking too much? I ended up trying this and liking it. From a "Pages" doc i mail it to myself as a PFD. That also saves the name of the doc as I made it not some crazy ten number name. Then I hold on the pdf file in my email and it asks a couple questions where to open as. I open it as an ibook file. It goes to the book case. I dont care about reading books on line so its just my files at this time. I can view it either as a book which is worthless because its so small or a nice alphabetized list for finger touch recall. Also important I do not have to be online to use the bookcase thank you for that little favor Apple.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dean,

Speaking as someone with an IT background there is a real danger with downloading and keeping company files on personal devices. If you really need to work on files at home ( if your company really wants you to do this they should provide something to facilitate this, for example, citrix or remote desktop over a secure connection ). I am really peeved when I hear about someone loosing a laptop etc. with sensitive employee or customer data.

Please consider how your employer would react to " I lost my iPad with all of our employees and customer ssn's on it".

If you employer is not paying you to work from home don't do it.

I mean this in the nicest way,

Most reactions