What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Portfolio on the iPad

fredj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an iPad but I need to see my stock portfolio on it. I currently use the Portfolio Manager on MSN.com which uses Silverlight to view the portfolio. Silverlight doesn't work on the iPad. Has anyone with a decent size portfolio found an equivalent portfolio manager to the MSN one? Personally I think the MSN Portfolio manager is the best one out there, but I may just have to wait for a Windows tablet to release this year and pass on the iPad. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions on an equivalent iPad portfolio manager. I don't need to trade through the PM. I use it to view portfolio's I have at multiple Brokers.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you googled for information about stock portfolio apps for the Ipad? I just googled and fpund a number of them. You can check for yourself in the Itunes store by searching in apps.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have the Appshopper you can search "stock portfolio tracker". So far, the best one for my use is Bloomberg. This app allows you to enter your position and how much you bought it for and then it gives you that day's performance. It also gives you news about that particular equity.

I am not familiar with the product you have used on your PC. I have used Quicken to keep track of my portfolio but on my PC. I haven't found any app that enables you to enter your quarterly dividends and your additional purchases over time. This is something I miss as I would like to keep track of my cost basis. But then again, the only apps I have explored to keep track of my portfolio are either "free" or less that US$1.99. There are several apps that are close to $20 that ought to be able to keep a running tally, etc. But there is no try before you buy ability to test out a $20 app. The "lite" or free versions are no indicators of what the bigger more expensive version can do.

Perhaps someone else will comment?

OP
F

fredj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the product you have used on your PC. I have used Quicken to keep track of my portfolio but on my PC. I haven't found any app that enables you to enter your quarterly dividends and your additional purchases over time. This is something I miss as I would like to keep track of my cost basis. But then again, the only apps I have explored to keep track of my portfolio are either "free" or less that US$1.99. There are several apps that are close to $20 that ought to be able to keep a running tally, etc. But there is no try before you buy ability to test out a $20 app. The "lite" or free versions are no indicators of what the bigger more expensive version can do.

Perhaps someone else will comment?

MSN's Portfolio Manager is free and I've used it for almost 10 years. Been tracking buys, sells, cost basis on it for that long. You can enter every purchase, date, cost basis, splits, dividends, etc etc and there must be 40 columns of info you can select to track if you want. Currently I'm tracking 6 portfolios I own on it. It tracks all mutual funds and stocks. Like I said, its the best portfolio tracker out there, by far. It's sophisticated yet easy to use. Its very customizable. I really like my wife's iPad, but I'm afraid I will have to get a Windows 7 tablet when they come out since I haven't found anything that compares to this portfolio manager---unless the iPad is allowed to use Silverlight in the iPad 2.

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Yahoo

I have my portfolio set up on Yahoo. I then, put a link (icon) on my iPad that points to that web page. You can tinker with your Yahoo portfolio to your heart's content. Good luck.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Power eTrade Pro app which is excellent, but it requires you to be a heavy trader with an eTrade account to use it for free. Not sure if that applies to you though. Many online brokers have apps available for their customers.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
I looked for this app, can you provide the precise name of the app you state is 'pretty good'? Also, what makes it so?

Sorry, the correct name is Stocktrac HD... Good analytics, covers many exchanges and different securities.... Also allows for multiple portfolios

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you ingoiolo for the Stocktrac HD advice. This app is on sale for half off. So I am going to buy it and see for myself. I took the tour, saw that it was one of the AppStore top apps. I'll report back later after I try it out. Thanks again for the advice.

OP
F

fredj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Power eTrade Pro app which is excellent, but it requires you to be a heavy trader with an eTrade account to use it for free. Not sure if that applies to you though. Many online brokers have apps available for their customers.

I use Merrill Lynch for my main broker because I get 30 free trades a month there in my self directed brokerage account. They have a decent portfolio tracker but I need a "multiple broker" tracker since I have accounts at Vanguard, Fidelity, First Eagle, etc. And I don't want to enter my brokerage website when using public WIFI for any number of security reasons. No sense in giving a smart hacker the username and password to the actual brokerage account I use.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fredj said:
I use Merrill Lynch for my main broker because I get 30 free trades a month there in my self directed brokerage account. They have a decent portfolio tracker but I need a "multiple broker" tracker since I have accounts at Vanguard, Fidelity, First Eagle, etc. And I don't want to enter my brokerage website when using public WIFI for any number of security reasons. No sense in giving a smart hacker the username and password to the actual brokerage account I use.

Check the one i suggest above out... Multiple portfolio capability combined with overall summary should hit your sweet spot

barsum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stockportfolio

I'm thinking of getting an iPad but I need to see my stock portfolio on it. I currently use the Portfolio Manager on MSN.com which uses Silverlight to view the portfolio. Silverlight doesn't work on the iPad. Has anyone with a decent size portfolio found an equivalent portfolio manager to the MSN one? Personally I think the MSN Portfolio manager is the best one out there, but I may just have to wait for a Windows tablet to release this year and pass on the iPad. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions on an equivalent iPad portfolio manager. I don't need to trade through the PM. I use it to view portfolio's I have at multiple Brokers.

You should take a look at "Stockportfolio" (bastaware.com) although the prices are delayed, it's really helpful for tracking the performance of your portfolio. It will calculate the performance for a specific period and as it is quick and easy to use, you can quickly open it every day and get an overview of the stocks performance and which to buy/get rid of.

Most reactions

Latest posts