What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Fry: Having an iPad is Like Having A Dog

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

British actor and writer and Apple evangelist Stephen Fry gave an inspired interview at the iPad Entertainment Summit in London, in which he likened the urge to own an iPad to wanting to have a dog as a pet, according to a story on Forbes’ Tea & Tech blog. Fry told the interviewer at the conference that people didn’t want to own a dog because of the functions they could perform, such as fetching your slippers, they got one because they loved having one, and “because you’re human.â€

Among other very interesting discussion points, Fry addressed the viewpoint of those who say that it’s not as pleasant an experience reading a book on the iPad, as opposed to reading an actual, physical book:

“I love the smell and feel of books. But I also like horses, and I’m still going to drive a car.â€

Fry concludes the interview by advising iPad owners not to throw away (or rather delete) their apps, as he thinks that in the future they could be worth a lot of money!

It’s a great feature, well worth checking out, and I love the way Fry thinks about and defend the iPad. For those in other parts of the world who haven’t heard of him, he’s a famous actor and writer from the UK, who used to have a comedy double act with House star Hugh Laurie. He’s even brought out his own app.

Source: Forbes

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score

British actor and writer and Apple evangelist Stephen Fry gave an inspired interview at the iPad Entertainment Summit in London, in which he likened the urge to own an iPad to wanting to have a dog as a pet, according to a story on Forbes’ Tea & Tech blog. Fry told the interviewer at the conference that people didn’t want to own a dog because of the functions they could perform, such as fetching your slippers, they got one because they loved having one, and “because you’re human.â€

Among other very interesting discussion points, Fry addressed the viewpoint of those who say that it’s not as pleasant an experience reading a book on the iPad, as opposed to reading an actual, physical book:

“I love the smell and feel of books. But I also like horses, and I’m still going to drive a car.â€

Fry concludes the interview by advising iPad owners not to throw away (or rather delete) their apps, as he thinks that in the future they could be worth a lot of money!

It’s a great feature, well worth checking out, and I love the way Fry thinks about and defend the iPad. For those in other parts of the world who haven’t heard of him, he’s a famous actor and writer from the Norfolk, UK, who used to have a comedy double act with House star Hugh Laurie. He’s even brought out his own app.

Source: Forbes

....sorry, but we're quite proud of him back home ;)

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
:) Thanks for the extra info, didn't know he came from Norfolk!

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if he was born here, but he's lived in the county for quite a while, and he's a big fan of us ;)

The TV Series Kingdom was filmed in the Norfolk market town of Swaffham :)

nursedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He also did a TV series where he visited much of the USA driving his London cab.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Fry starred in my personal favorite, Jeeves and Wooster. If you haven't seen it you should. TV adaption of P.G. Wodehouse's characters, Bertie Wooster and his Butler Jeeves. Very funny and entertaining. (And, as an added bonus Hugh Laurie plays Wooster.)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He's right though. Think of the attention paid to their vehicles by car lovers.

You know who you are........

iain1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad and I have a dog.

Depite enjoying Mr Fry's televisual output since 1980-something, he's wrong on this.

My dog currently has a skin infection and a bucket on her head, my iPad does not.

Most reactions

Latest posts