What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stanza & Dropbox? Files compatible with Stanza?

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the Stanza app yesterday and am having some problems figuring it out. I read several places online that Stanza can be used with Dropbox to import ebooks. In Stanza I don't see anything that can be pointed to Dropbox. In Dropbox I loaded a pdf file and the Open With menu does not include Stanza. I was able to transfer that same pdf file to my iPad via USB iTunes. What am I missing here? Also, I wasn't able to find a list of all of the file extensions that Stanza can open. I tried azw & mobi (both Kindle) files and it wasn't able to open them. So...what files can Stanza use?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Stanza I don't see anything that can be pointed to Dropbox.

Open the Stanza app on your iPad, tap the Get Books icon on the bottom of the screen then tap Shared at the top of the screen. Click the + sign in the upper right corner of the screen. This will open up the Add Book Source page. Enter the name you want to call it (probably Dropbox, but you can call it anything you want) and then type in the URL then hit save. This will take you back to the Shared screen. Now tap the line that says Dropbox (or whatever you called it) and that will take you to the home page where you log in and do whatever you do to get access to your files. You're on your own from here since my "cloud" is Box.net and I don't know how Dropbox works.

Also, I wasn't able to find a list of all of the file extensions that Stanza can open. I tried azw & mobi (both Kindle) files and it wasn't able to open them. So...what files can Stanza use?
Try here: http://www.lexcycle.com/supported-formats

Clear as mud, eh?

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help! Yes...it does sound a tad more complicated than I expected...no wonder I didn't get it myself LOL! I'm surprised (big time!) by how few file types Stanza supports...that's definitely not the impression that I got from reading many posts across the internet! Hmmmm...I have a box.net account too with nothing sitting in it right now...might be a perfect spot to store some ebooks! :)

OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK...this is certainly frustrating! I had no problem linking Stanza to my Box.net account. All of the Ebooks are showing perfectly. BUT...there doesn't seem to be an option to download them! I select the box with the down arrow and from what I understand there is supposed to be a pop-up menu where I could select to download. But nothing pops up and there's no download option or button!

OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After a lot of trying, I'm able to download now. I can see/read the book, but it looks like it's still within Box.net...it's definitely not being added to the Stanza library.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry it has taken so long to respond. When you use something like box.net, you are pointing Stanza to the place where the file exists. The problem with this is of course is that you have to online in order to read the stuff stored there.

Most reactions