What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stand Review : Adjustable Stand Desktop Holder, ipad2 & 3

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Hi guys, I just wanted to share my thoughts and do a quick review on my latest bit of kit. Nothing exciting, but might be of value to all those peeps out there constantly asking about iPad stands. (And, on a personal note, I like to give mention to companies and items that offer much cheapness and great value for money at the same time)

It's an adjustable stand desktop holder, for the 2nd and 3rg gen iPads, from Adjustable Stand Desktop Holder for iPad / New iPad Silver - Tmart.com

ip01.jpg

To basically paraphrase a few key features from the sales site - provides 360° rotation, adjustable viewing angle, and non-slip feet, solid aluminium alloy material in silver, 'M' logo holder backing, cable and audio management and full access to all your iPad features.

But what's it like to have and use?

First off, it took less than a working week to arrive on my doorstep from over the Pond. Considerably less, so a thumbs up there. It was well packaged in a chunky box, and, as can be seen in the site link, very very reasonable in costs.
For me personally, I use my iPad as my comms link to the outside world when in work. It sits on my desk next to my phone and provides me with an instant window to email, news feeds, web access, contacts, clients shots, radio and most importantly, a constant open Skype video channel etc etc , so, i need a stand that is rugged, solid, most accessible, ie, must provide a damn good angle for instant use and viewing, and of course, looks sexy to boot. This last option is most subjective, but it does carry on the styling of Apple per se.

Secondly, once opened, it took about 25 seconds to construct. Easy instructions (believe me, some of us actually do need them), well packaged bits, and a set of spare corner grips as well.

ip02.jpg

I'm used to this type of stand as I've used similar on my iPad and iPod Touch in the past, so i was most curious to spot the differences. So far, the cost is everything. This stand is literally a 1/3 of the cost of it's more famous similar brother.
Construction-wise it's basically a single solid aluminium foot, with a convenient hole for speaker wires and/or charger cable, and a single 'M' shaped back for the body (i'm presuming this M shaped is purely aesthetic. it doesn't seem to provide any more/less stability than a straight or cross shaped construction) -

ip03.jpg

It's bolted (or screwed) together using a simple extendible screw system with 2 moulded rubber washers that fit nicely to the contour of the casing, secured with a stylish aluminium bolt. The body has 4 rubber corner angles with overlapping 'lips' that grip the iPad most safely. The 'other' stand i used had plastic corner grips that didn't exactly hold my devise as securely as I'd have liked. These almost 'clip' the ipad into place. (unfortunately the grips are too shallow to accommodate the ipad1)

Again, on a personal note, I like to use my iPad in portrait mode mostly, but of course, video watching is always better in landscape, so this stand has a fantastic 'action' and smoothness when rotating your devise 90°. As mentioned, it has 2 rubber washers that give a nice smooth and secure turning action.

ip04.jpg

The rear bolt can be tightened/loosened to ease this movement, but whatever, it never gets too loose to slip unless you open the bolt all the way. The Angle of the iPad on my desk is probably only about 10° off the vertical, and, other than the corner grips, almost gives the impression my iPad is floating. But yes, the angle off the straight is perfect. And again, nice to see it isn't sitting on the desk too. It's a good couple of inches off the desk making it feel closer to me eye line when looking at it. As you can see from the photo, you can of course rotate the screen up to the flat 90° position, making it flat on or table like. why you'd want this I don't know. But it does give you the full gamut of angles to choose from until you're desired viewing angle is met.
Also, the base of the foot has a good pair of rubber strips built in, to it doesn't slide all over your desk.

ip05.jpg

In conclusion, yeah, i'm pretty chuffed with the stand on all sides, from communication and ease of ordering with the company, to delivery times, to costings and most importantly, the quality of the item itself. I was rather dubious before it arrived wondering how it could live up to it's more expensive cousin being this cheap. But it does, and in my experience and opinion, it fully surpasses it too.

The only downside - that chunky rear hard rubber set of washers, great as they are at securing things, it does make my ipad 'bouncy' or 'springy'. Pressing buttons on the screen sometimes makes the iPad bounce backwards and forwards due to the tight rubber washer construction. maybe a softer rubber might have absorbed more of the movement. But this is quite a minor complaint. Nothing is ever perfect eh?

ip06.jpg

There we go. I'm not too hot on words or technicalities, but I hope this short review is of help to someone out there.

Thanks

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a very nice review. Thanks for the effort.

I do have a question. Do you think the iPad could remain any a case (any kind of case, not every case) and still fit into the stand? It seems there is a bit depth to the corner holders, so it looks like a thin case or back might work.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
works beautifully with the Smart cover :) -

ip07.jpg

To answer your question properly, no, when the ipad is clipped in place there is no extra or leeway or excess depth. The ipad literally 'clips' in and sits super snug. The smart cover works perfectly because its held in by its own magnets of course, but it in no way gets in the way or touches the stand. And theres no space or overlap to if it wanted.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
works beautifully with the Smart cover :) -

To answer your question properly, no, when the ipad is clipped in place there is no extra or leeway or excess depth. The ipad literally 'clips' in and sits super snug. The smart cover works perfectly because its held in by its own magnets of course, but it in no way gets in the way or touches the stand. And theres no space or overlap to if it wanted.

Thank you very much. The price is good on this....I might get it anyway.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent review! This is the perfect complement to Rain Design's M stand that I have for my macbookpro. Looks like its going on the short list of accessories to buy. Thanks again!

collapse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bump, i hope it would be heavy enough that don't slip or even swaying once i strike on the screen.
but something light is always portable. :)

keyily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bump, i hope it would be heavy enough that don't slip or even swaying once i strike on the screen.
but something light is always portable. :)
These pictures of stand are very clear , I like it,it doesnt slip when you use it.please take easy.Because i had one before.

keyily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i take a look,maybe it can remain any a case.This is my opinion

Truffleshuffle03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like something like that but a little more mobile since I don;t have a desk top to place something like that. I have a leather couch that has to recliners build in. My little kickstand on my case works ok when placed on the reclining parts but I am looking for something like that that swivles and is not going to tip over maybe something with a bigger base. is there anything like that at the moment?

Most reactions