What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Random Thoughts on the iPad

ddoyle777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel like I've not put the iPad down since I got it a week ago Saturday. I'm still very much taken with how it works and I've had more fun with it than I've had with a computer in years. I'm also getting a lot of work done with it - something I didn't really expect. I have a few random thoughts - any of you have some to share?

1. One of my favorite discoveries is how easy the iPad is to read. I don't mean the screen (though it's great) I mean that I get to hold the iPad at the perfect spot for my bifocaled eyes to read. It is so great to be able to move the iPad back and forth rather than bend my neck to read the screen. And if I sit in my recliner I don't have to put a 6 lb brick on my chest. The iPad is the most comfortable computer I've ever used. I don't think I've heard any other reviewer mention this, but to me this is the best thing about it.

2. My 3 year old grandson thinks this thing is a blast. I've put Old Mac Donald, Tiny Trax, and AniMagic on it for him and he will play sitting in my lap for 45 minutes without hardly moving. I can't imagine doing that with a laptop.

3. The pixel doubling is either great or horrible. Many of the apps that are mostly graphics do well. Bejeweled plays just fine doubled, for example, but text apps are horrible! My Bible programs (Laridian's Pocket Bible and Olive Tree's Bible Reader) are horrible looking. They work fine, but look gross. Thank God (really!) that Crossway released the ESV in an "HD" version (free, too!). That will carry me until the other apps catch up.

4. What's taking the App Store so long to release stuff. Olive Tree submitted their HD version quite a while ago - nothing yet. I swear, if anything kills this golden goose, it's going to be how Apple handles apps.

5. Pages is both a delight and a disappointment. I put my sermon notes files on Pages early in the week and then have it with me to review. I usually would highlight text that was important and be able to find it quickly. In Pages there is no highlighting, so I switched to changing the color of the text, but it's a pain. First you select the text then button, long scroll down, press, press, press. All this because Apple decided you don't need to change styles. I'd love to find my way around that.
Other than that, I like the app. I'm not too bothered by the hoops to jump through to move files on and off the iPad.

6. I think the Apple case stinks! What a cheap piece of junk. I'm surprised that Apple, who is known for classy design, let it have their logo on it. It wobbles when standing up right for movie watching, is a royal pain to get on and off, and you can't use it in the dock! (I cut out a part of the back so I could dock the iPad without removing it.)
But I won't replace it. When I'm reading in bed at night I stick my fingers in the case behind the iPad and it makes the iPad much easier to hold. I lay on my left side with my elbow on the bed and I could read all night. I've configured the left side tap on iBooks to advance. Works neat. Now all I need to do is figure a way to keep it from dropping when I nod off to sleep!

7. My only real negative is that I wish I had not bought the 16G version. I've only a gig and a half free. I could remove the movies, but who knows when I'll need Star Trek!

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. How about you?

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can still return it since its under 14 days and exchange it.. I have. The 32 and its more than enough space.... For now

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7. My only real negative is that I wish I had not bought the 16G version. I've only a gig and a half free. I could remove the movies, but who knows when I'll need Star Trek!

You can still return it since its under 14 days and exchange it.. I have. The 32 and its more than enough space.... For now
I hear that the 16GB is real hot these days and that 32s and 64s are staying on the shelves. Go ahead and change it, they won't refuse!

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3. The pixel doubling is either great or horrible. Many of the apps that are mostly graphics do well. Bejeweled plays just fine doubled, for example, but text apps are horrible! My Bible programs (Laridian's Pocket Bible and Olive Tree's Bible Reader) are horrible looking. They work fine, but look gross. Thank God (really!) that Crossway released the ESV in an "HD" version (free, too!). That will carry me until the other apps catch up.

Have you looked at the Logos Bible Software? They have a version made for the iPad. I haven't used it yet, since I am still waiting for my iPad :(, but looks good.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the iPad. It's good to hear from regular people.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I looked at the Apple store on the release day, they said the only thing they had lots of, were the 16G models.

OP
D

ddoyle777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I've got it installed. About half of my Logos library is available and it is quite good. I like the passage guide. I started out using the Bible on mobile devices with Laridian and Olive Tree and guess I just default to them, but Logos is making a determined effort to be a blockbuster on Apple devices. They are one of a handful of companies that seems to "get" what a user needs on the iPhone/iPad and hasn't just tried to port a desktop program to a smaller screen. I have to give them full credit for that.

If I understand their plans I'll be able to read a daily plan on one device and have it checked off on the desktop, highlight a verse on the desktop and have the highlight show up on the iPad, and sync my notes between all my Logos installs on mobile or desktop. They aren't there yet, but I'm hopeful.

Of course, the best Mac Bible program is Accordance (I know people who switched to Mac just to run Accordance - it's really that good) isn't available on either iPhone or iPad, but they are hinting that something is in the works - WhooHooo!

To those who have suggested I return the iPad for a larger one - I had mine delivered, do you think a retail store would exchange it? Last time Intried to do something similar with an iPod they wouldn't exchange it and made me send it back tomthe Apple online store?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Techdad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck, I thought about upgrading from 16gig to a 32 gig, but I 'am keeping what I have and add or take off those apps I won't use often.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To those who have suggested I return the iPad for a larger one - I had mine delivered, do you think a retail store would exchange it? Last time Intried to do something similar with an iPod they wouldn't exchange it and made me send it back tomthe Apple online store?Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I asked the guy at the Apple store if I could bring it there if I had a problems with the iPad that I was buying on line. He said that would be no problem.

I would give it a try.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should ask your local apple store. I spoke with apple online sales early on and was told you could not return online ipads to the store. They said you would need to pay to ship it back along with a 10 percent restocking fee.

I actually returned a nib 16 and kept two 64's - after a few days with the 64's I knew 16 was not going to cut it.

With regards to the case I think both of mine are great - would not change a thing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts