What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So nobody went to walmart and target...FAIL

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mean maybe south florida is different but all the apple stores were packed lines out the wazoo, people sitting on the floor all day. People selling their first gens for like 200 bucks and then nobody I mean like maybe three people at walmart, maybe like 10 at target. Do these people not use the internet on their ipads? Do people not shop at walmart or target anymore?

Is there something cool about buying from apple stores. Maybe it's cool to say hey look at me standing here just waiting. My walmart had like 70 and and I bought like 4 just to ebay. It was sad because they had a rope but nobody in line.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really enjoyed getting my iPad at Target here in the South Bronx. There WAS a huge line, and only by coming and hour early did I even get it. They had about 50 iPads and they sold out in 40 min.

Target should have gotten more iPads.

Everyone in NYC knows the Apple store on 59th street is a madhouse even on a normal day... so today?... oy. forget about it!

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in line for 1 1/2 hours at an Apple Store in Boston. No big deal. They served Pete's coffee to everyone in line, gave us vouchers so we knew that the model we wanted was reserved and ready when we got in the store. Very pleasant staff, and hundreds of buyers got the exact carrier, model, covers, etc. they wanted.

What's wrong with that??

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our Walmarts either said they weren't getting them or they didn't know. I'll venture out tomorrow in search of one.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in line for 1 1/2 hours at an Apple Store in Boston. No big deal. They served Pete's coffee to everyone in line, gave us vouchers so we knew that the model we wanted was reserved and ready when we got in the store. Very pleasant staff, and hundreds of buyers got the exact carrier, model, covers, etc. they wanted.

What's wrong with that??

That sounds like a better way to do it. At target they would just yell out what was left from time to time.

"ONLY 15 black ones left! 9 3G!"

Not as slick... but it was a smaller operation.

But, I got to meet a lot of Apple computer users in my neighborhood-- so that was cool.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
I just went by Target to check and, of course they were out. The guy i talked to said they only got 5. I knew I wouldn't get off work early enough to get one and, I'm glad I ordered online.

Ashenor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to the Apple store in Troy Michigan at first. I got there at 2:30 and was about 200th in line. I had a friend that went to walmart at 3:00 about 20 mins away and he was the 3rd person in line. I left rushed over there and at 3:30 i was the 5th person in line and as you got there they handed out sku's so you know what you had.

Wish i would have just went there first i was checked out and in the car by 5:05, i can't imagine how long it took to check the 200 people out then they probably would have not had any white 16g left like i wanted.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there something cool about buying from apple stores. Maybe it's cool to say hey look at me standing here just waiting. My walmart had like 70 and and I bought like 4 just to . It was sad because they had a rope but nobody in line.

But Apple shops are cool. Look at all that glass and burnished steel and clean, postindustrial styling (which their devices kind of resemble), not to mention their youthful-looking and helpful staff*.

Even standing in the queue amidst other fans and talking to each other about stuff and absorbing the vibe and energy of the location adds immensely to the whole Apple experience. I can't think of another technology vendor which has anything that comes even close. (I'm sure there are some who feel that they're too cool to be part of that scene, and that's perfectly fine, too.)

*Actual skill and product knowledge may vary according to your location and luck, of course.

Last edited:

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even standing in the queue amidst other fans and talking to each other about stuff and absorbing the vibe and energy of the location adds immensely to the whole Apple experience. I can't think of another technology vendor which has anything that comes even close. (I'm sure there are some who feel that they're too cool to be part of that scene, and that's perfectly fine, too.)

*Actual skill and product knowledge may vary according to your location and luck, of course.

I agree, but today was not ready for the stress. The NYC stores are just so intense ... and the people there can be a little too serious!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, but today was not ready for the stress. The NYC stores are just so intense ... and the people there can be a little too serious!

I know what you mean. But today (well, yesterday for me) is first-release day for their flagship tablet. You know it's going to get a bit rowdy at Apple ground-zero (as I imagine will happen two weeks from now here at the Sydney Apple "glass house".) Oy vey indeed.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people get a thrill out of buying their's from the Apple store. No status in buying from WalMart. The reality is that as good as the iPad 2 is, it is still going to be a big deal in a couple weeks. Getting in a long line for just a hope of getting the model you want, makes no sense to me.

ksn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy in San Francisco had 3-4 people in line at 1PM. The Apple store here had 50ish at 7AM and a line that extended several blocks by noon.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is, per forum posts here and elsewhere, if you were in an area with an Apple store the Wal-mart's, Targets and Best Buys seem to only have gotten a handful of units as the majority of stock went to Apple.

Personally, I ordered online as there's no product that could EVER get me to wait in line to spend my hard earned money. I pretty much hate shopping locally anyway. Other than groceries and toiletries, I pretty much order online. Retail can pretty much up and die for all I care.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the hour and a half of conversation with interesting people to be enjoyable and entertaining.

Some people would rather watch a sporting event live rather than watch it on TiVo the next day. Its the same game, it just all depends on what you like to do with your time. :)

Most reactions