What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, I got to try the competition out

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I feel exactly the opposite. I will never use AT&T and have been with verizon for years. I was totally psyched about the droid and really loved it for the first month or so...then its limitations started showing and the updates came that crippled the phone, then I got thru the 20 or so great apps and realized the market was nothing but spam and malware and bad code...most of which doesnt work as it should or crashes constantly.

The biggest problem I had with my Droid was that Motorola released new android phones and decided they didn't give a crap about the last gen (this happened within 6 months of release too!!!)....so it took forever to get an update and when they finally did update it basically made the phone unusable...I started getting a few hours battery life, it would crash while in a call....it just because slow and unstable. It was also way too much hassle to root again, so I dealt with it until I couldnt anymore, and went thru the process of rooting again...now as I said I have to deal with a popup every 15 mins saying there is an update available!! But dealing with that popup is actually not as bad as dealing with the update!!

The second Verizon gets an iPhone I will be switching!

I'm sorry for taking this thread off topic but this statement is, well I don't know how else to say it, totally not true.

It took forever to get an upgrade? No, there were two upgrades that were done on a 2 month period. That led to 2.0.1. Next update 2.1 which came out in January. So between Nov. 2008, let's say 2 updates because the first one was just a fix that was sent out. Next update came in late June 2.2. That's 5 months between major updates. Word is that Gingerbread is set to release soon. And yes, the original Droid will get Gingerbread. They haven't forgotten the original Droid.

Thats 3 updates in a years time. To me, that's awesome.

I currently have a Droid 1 and Droid 2. I can't say I've never had an issue pop up but when one did, and that wasn't very often I was able to find out how to fix it.

It's my experience that the problems you describe could have easily been fixed, either by merely clearing the cache of the apps or by doing a Factory Data Reset. If you had a task killer on you phone that was probably another issue. Task killers are not necessary.

Rooting is simple. There are 1 step apps you can get from the Market to root your Droid. My Droid 2 and 1 are both stable, reliable devices.

If you haven't done it in a while, take a trip over to our sister forum, Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones: Motorola Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, Droid Incredible and Droid Eris and see if we can't help you get your Droid up to speed. It's not that complicated. If you still want an iPhone that's fine but your Droid shouldn't be acting like you describe.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Please return to your original subject.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think both OS has their plusses and minuses but I think the reason the OP opened this thread was not to discuss which OS was better but to discuss the differences of iPad vs Android Tablet.

My only beef with the iPad so far is no multitasking. I personally don't need flash.

OP if you're still around does the tablet have 2.2 Froyo Operating System?

Sorry .. I kind of forgot to check back on this thread! Yes, the OS is Android 2.2 Froyo. I have to admit that it is at least very slick to look at. I didn't get enough time to determine how good the OS really is, but it seemed as snappy as my Ipad for the basic things I was doing with it.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the biggest draw for people right now to the Android tablets is the extra ports, webcams, expandability, and Flash support. I love my iPad, but I would love it even more with that stuff.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the biggest draw for people right now to the Android tablets is the extra ports, webcams, expandability, and Flash support. I love my iPad, but I would love it even more with that stuff.

yeah, it would be nice to not have to pay $30 extra for every port that comes standard even with the cheap android tablet. just about all the android tabs have USB host included and some even come with mini/micro USB to standard USB adapter. plus the included hdmi out on a lot of them make them nice little home video players. it would be nice to have a remote though.

OP
D

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to make one correction. The Archos 70 is running Android 2.1 not Froyo. The official statement from Archos is that the 2.2 update will be available by the end of the month.

Most reactions

Latest posts