What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Covers Announced for the iPad 2

mpengle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does use magnets which attach to magnets that are installed inside the iPad's body. That should mean that no, it won't work with the original iPads.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They do look kinda neat but I'm thinking it could be kinda fiddley and you're right, no protection especially for the back :0(

From the video, it looks like the cover would also cover the entire backside when unfurled while attached.

Zagg and many others make protective skins for the backside if needed.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would it kinda work if I opened up my iPad and glued magnets to where it attaches??

If not I'm gonna do a bit of diy and attach some velcro or something!

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
Would it kinda work if I opened up my iPad and glued magnets to where it attaches??

Youre just gonna ruin your ipad. Leave ipad 2 accessories to ipad 2 to be safe

ConnorS92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the video for the smart covers on Apple there is a disclaimer at the end saying the colour on the leather cases may rub off. Not sure if they mean rub off on the iPad or off in general

rich20vt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the video for the smart covers on Apple there is a disclaimer at the end saying the colour on the leather cases may rub off. Not sure if they mean rub off on the iPad or off in general

I don't like the sound of that, surly they would have fixed this problem before releace

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't like the sound of that, surly they would have fixed this problem before releace

That's just a limitation of colored leather in general. It's dyed and thus can rub off especially if it gets moist.

Get one of the plastic one and you won't have to worry about it. $70 for the leather one is an absurd price anyway--though $40 for the plastic is as well. But that's a price of Apple accessories, they're always priced ridiculously.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's just a limitation of colored leather in general. It's dyed and thus can rub off especially if it gets moist.

Surprised to see that disclaimer. There are some types of leather dye which will rub off (whether dry or wet) but there are also other leather pigmentation techniques that can and will hold the colour fast under any condition.

Given that these leather dyes can be treated and heated to make them colour-fast as part of the manufacturing process (as opposed to, say customers buying a DIY kit and applying dye to an already finished product, which cannot be "baked" to set the dye), I would consider it quite poor workmanship if they were selling products which could stain easily - e.g. worse-case scenario, someone accidentally spills a drink onto the smartcover, which runs onto the table and then down on the carpet. Cover, tabletop and carpet all ruined.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get one of the plastic one and you won't have to worry about it. $70 for the leather one is an absurd price anyway--though $40 for the plastic is as well. But that's a price of Apple accessories, they're always priced ridiculously.

not necessarily true. Compared to most cases on the market, Apple's cases are reasonably priced imo.

Reasonable on other accessories as well. Apple's HDMI cable is only 19.00. The cheapest ones I've seen at Walmart start at 34.00 on up.. "Best Buy" starts at 59.00 on up, not to mention their own markup on top of Apple's prices.

Even Apple's software is reasonable compared to similar competing software.. ie. $57 iWork vs $199 Office.. $79 Aperture vs $599 CS5, etc..

And dare I say, they're computers are affordable compared to anything trying to compete on build quality, stability, and performance.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ oh, and last, but not least, the iPad is a bargain compared to any other competing tablet on the market.

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:

Sounds like a plan. LOL

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadOhana said:
The guys at the Apple Store were trying to convince me to trade my iPad 1 in and used the new cases as a selling point...However, I like my Saddleback Case that will be arriving in a day...Thus, I think I'm going to just get the price difference and add a nice set of Bluetooth speakers...:)

Seems like a silly reason to get an iPad2. Maybe I'm missing something here like perhaps it was one of many selling points the used?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not necessarily true. Compared to most cases on the market, Apple's cases are reasonably priced imo.

For $70, you can definitely get a lot better than a factory mass-produced leather item, especially with a "colours could bleed" warning on it.

Most reactions

Latest posts