What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sluggish After Upgrade

paulthefencer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have an iPad 1 and a 4th generation iPod. Both are sluggish to respond now since the iOS 5 update. I've noticed the sluggish typing and sometimes when I shut off the screen it takes a few seconds to shut off. I really hope Apple fixes this problem. Nothing has changed since the update for me, so I know I'm not running out of memory or anything.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have an iPad 1 and a 4th generation iPod. Both are sluggish to respond now since the iOS 5 update. I've noticed the sluggish typing and sometimes when I shut off the screen it takes a few seconds to shut off. I really hope Apple fixes this problem. Nothing has changed since the update for me, so I know I'm not running out of memory or anything.
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With respect to your post, try resetting (not restarting) your iPad and your iPod Touch.

Reset: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.

More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

OP
P

paulthefencer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Rich. I've done the hard reboot of both devices to no avail. I don't back up to the cloud so that isn't causing the problem. I think it's an iOS glitch ( I'm hoping).

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Rich. I've done the hard reboot of both devices to no avail. I don't back up to the cloud so that isn't causing the problem. I think it's an iOS glitch ( I'm hoping).
Hmmm...I don't have an iPod Touch, but I do have an original iPad and when using some apps the response is noticeably slower. iOS 5 did not improve some of the original iPad's performance and in some instances seems to have hindered it. Here are the results of some bench tests...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-1-forum/51791-ipad-slower-after-ios5-2.html#post356866

The takeaway from the diagnostics is that although the iPad 2's performance benefited from iOS 5 in almost all tests, the original iPad did not. The differences are really negligible for the most part, but they are there and may rear their ugly heads now and again. The best bet if everything else is equal is to try and keep any unused apps closed to free up as much memory and CPU activity as possible. You probably already know this, but just in case, here is how to quit unused apps:

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Others may have more suggestions as well but if you see anything specifically causing problems, go ahead and post that and we can test it on our iPads and see if we get the same results.

Hope that helps!

Most reactions