What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Backup via Itunes - How to Speed up>?

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm finding that the backup's are taking Too long. Being new to I-tunes is there an easy way to tell it not to backup the device and or to limit what it backs up?

OP
I

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok - looks like you can click the X and it will stop the backup and continue with the sync.

Have no idea why the backup is taking so long (in excess of 10 minutes) - and its not even backing up the media.

So far the only thing I dislike about the Ipad is the Itunes!

skrat982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same frustration. Took nearly an hour last night, and I'm about twenty minutes into one this morning and less than half done. I'm wondering if it might just be the number of new iPads and itunes server capacity. May go away as a problem when the traffic slows down a bit. Just a guess. Currently very frustrating!!:confused:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in itunes on the front page select manually manage music and video, and on each tab just check which things you want it to sync. I like contacts and notes and all my data, I also like to sync apps so I can organize on iTunes and also keep them in case something happens. Its best to manually sync movies and music tho..that way you can just drag and drop what you want.

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the iPhone and now with the iPad, this can be an occasional problem. usually it is related to one particular app. With the iPhone I experienced this with ESPN's original app. When it came out, it killed the backup process. I finally removed the app until they fixed it and that resolved the problem. Likewise, in the first few days with the iPad I experienced a slow backup. The first thing I did was remove ESPN XL. But this time it was not their fault. Before I could go through the process of figuring out the culprit, they (and I cannot remember who "they" was) released an update. I saw it on the release notes that it corrected an issue with backups. Sure enough after installing, the problem was resolved.

So in the short term, you can always x out of the backup. Though I would recommend letting it complete when you have the available time to let it sit. Then either go through the process of elimination to determine which app is causing the problem. Or sit tight until the app gets fixed, and make sure that you install updates as soon as they are released.

Hope this helps.

MattChance

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
SwagBucks.com
Or sit tight until the app gets fixed, and make sure that you install updates as soon as they are released.

Hope this helps.

How are people supposed to know when an app is updated, other than to check its iTunes page every day (asking legitimately, not angrily. I've never owned a touch iPod/phone long enough to figure that out... And the iTunes help doesn't mention it at all)? I did the "check for updates" thing in the apps section of iTunes, but it said there were none... But then I went to look up all the horrible reviews for the broken Abc app, and it said they had released a new update... I had to manually reinstall.

This of course is after suffering the same stupid backup wait times that led me to finding this single thread on google the other day. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated, when my iPod video takes 60 seconds to sync, and the iPad sync times are completely unpredictable... I never checked a box saying that I wanted to backup anything. If it means I have to wait on it all day, I'd rather lose everything on the iPad than have to backup.

Why not, the thing can't even remember my wifi password for more than 24 hours as it is...

Last edited:

jkwakopo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine remembers my wifi address plus 30+ wifi addresses... But yes, my ipad tends to forget those cheap b/g/ entry level routers tho.... Even with N, my ipad tends to lose the connection time to time, if i'm too far away from the access point

Or sit tight until the app gets fixed, and make sure that you install updates as soon as they are released.

Hope this helps.

How are people supposed to know when an app is updated, other than to check its iTunes page every day (asking legitimately, not angrily. I've never owned a touch iPod/phone long enough to figure that out... And the iTunes help doesn't mention it at all)? I did the "check for updates" thing in the apps section of iTunes, but it said there were none... But then I went to look up all the horrible reviews for the broken Abc app, and it said they had released a new update... I had to manually reinstall.

This of course is after suffering the same stupid backup wait times that led me to finding this single thread on google the other day. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated, when my iPod video takes 60 seconds to sync, and the iPad sync times are completely unpredictable... I never checked a box saying that I wanted to backup anything. If it means I have to wait on it all day, I'd rather lose everything on the iPad than have to backup.

Why not, the thing can't even remember my wifi password for more than 24 hours as it is...

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see the reason why your back up is very slow because as for me, it really works perfectly. I can download music from itunes very fast and I do not have any problems about it.

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score

In iTunes, go to Library, and then Apps. To the right of the word "apps" there will be a number if there are any updates available. Also, after clicking on the "apps" to show all of your apps, in the lower right corner, it tells you how many updates are available. You don't need to check each one individually.

And out of curiosity, why do you sync all the time anyway? I don't sync that often on my iphone or ipad.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure why some are having the backup issue, but mine takes maybe two minutes max to backup, and yet my son's took an hour last night! There are times
I sync several times a day, and it's never taken more than two minutes. And that is with gigs of music and maybe 70 apps.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can disable auto backups in iTunes by using a free program called BackOff.

link: BackOff Speeds Up iTunes Sync for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad

Backups were taking a really long time for me too. I think the problem was all the manga I have in ComicZeal... 6gb+ of 3k+ cbz comics, which ComicZeal unarchived so it was like 70k+ images to backup. After 3 hours of backing up I was only at 15%.

Note that with BackOff you can still manually start a backup by right-clicking on the iPad and selecting "backup".

Last edited:

wenzej

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Long Ipad Bacup times

I have a IPad 32 G and a IPod touch 32 gig same data on both of them. The IPad takes 3 or 4 times longer to backup during a sync then the IPod touch. Of course there are some apps that are IPad only so they may be the problem.
Does anyone know where the backup is made to is it the local hard drive or to an apple server someplace on the internet?

xiutian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can disable auto backups in iTunes by using a free program called BackOff.

link: BackOff Speeds Up iTunes Sync for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad

Backups were taking a really long time for me too. I think the problem was all the manga I have in ComicZeal... 6gb+ of 3k+ cbz comics, which ComicZeal unarchived so it was like 70k+ images to backup. After 3 hours of backing up I was only at 15%.

Note that with BackOff you can still manually start a backup by right-clicking on the iPad and selecting "backup".

I was just thinking of transferring my Naruto manga tonight! Now I'm not so sure I want to do that :(

Arnz98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing i read which worked for me is to delete the old backup file and then do the backup. Basically if you are taking an extremely long time to backup it could be because you have a corrupt backup file. By deleting it and then doing a backup, you are creating a new one. The first backup may take longer but from then on it should only take a few minutes.

You can access the old backup in itunes by going to edit then preferences. There you will find the option to delete

MrHappyPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure why some are having the backup issue, but mine takes maybe two minutes max to backup, and yet my son's took an hour last night! There are times
I sync several times a day, and it's never taken more than two minutes. And that is with gigs of music and maybe 70 apps.

I heard somewhere that if you had your iPod/iPad Jailbroken that the backups will take for eeeeever. Check with your son to see if it is jailbroken..

Most reactions

Latest posts