What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Backup via Itunes - How to Speed up>?

ChipRodgers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
20hr + Backup

This problem is killing me! I have tried all the suggestions of deleting the old backup files, removing possible trouble apps, uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, etc, etc.

I have no idea why this is so crappy -- and why Apple is refusing to acknowledge the problem. I've looked even in the Apple forums and people are talking about the problem, but no response from Apple.

It's killing me now because I want to upgrade to iOS 4.2 and the upgrade forces the system to run a backup first. So i am never getting to the actual upgrade because the backup has been taking so long!

Anybody have any other solutions??

BTW, I have an iPad 3G 64GB, but memory is less than half full with mostly music, video, and photos.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel your pain. It 24 hours for me to get through the backup and install 4.2! Many times I thought it was frozen, but I just finally walked away and when I woke up this morning it was finished.

Last edited:

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this issue and had to end up deleting the massage amount of Podcast audio and video files.

Now that I think about it maybe try not syncing podcast first before deleting them (if you have any).

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem is killing me! I have tried all the suggestions of deleting the old backup files, removing possible trouble apps, uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, etc, etc.

I have no idea why this is so crappy -- and why Apple is refusing to acknowledge the problem. I've looked even in the Apple forums and people are talking about the problem, but no response from Apple.

It's killing me now because I want to upgrade to iOS 4.2 and the upgrade forces the system to run a backup first. So i am never getting to the actual upgrade because the backup has been taking so long!

Anybody have any other solutions??

BTW, I have an iPad 3G 64GB, but memory is less than half full with mostly
music, video, and photos.

I do believe you are not using the original iPad wire that came with the iPad the iPad wire and iPhone/iPod are different. The iPad wire if faster at data transfer I had same problem when I mixed up my wires and sat dumbfounded at the painfull backup! find the iPad should be squared off and mark it! Have read numerous threads on this i do believe this is halls problem. Try it.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do believe you are not using the original iPad wire that came with the iPad the iPad wire and iPhone/iPod are different. The iPad wire if faster at data transfer I had same problem when I mixed up my wires find the iPad one and mark it! Have read numerous threads on this.

I disagree. I think they are the same. I use my daughter's iPod plug which is identical to my iPad one.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do believe you are not using the original iPad wire that came with the iPad the iPad wire and iPhone/iPod are different. The iPad wire if faster at data transfer I had same problem when I mixed up my wires find the iPad one and mark it! Have read numerous threads on this.

I disagree. I think they are the same. I use my daughter's iPod plug which is identical to my iPad one.

I tried it I even confirmed with apple call them. They are identical looking! charging will be the same depending on the outlit adapter but data backup will go painfully slow with iPhone or iPod wire. But you are right if you try to backup and the last time you had 10 apps now 60 it will be faster.

Last edited:

anatole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cable does not seem to help

Following the advice on this and other forums, I tried several "square" cables. It does not help.
Any other ideas?

iloveif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also using the original cable too without success. Mine appears to not even start after waiting what seems like forever.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I am in the middle of updating my wife's iPad and hers backed up in 20 minutes and installed the update flawlessly. Her computer is older then mine so now I have ruled that out. Also I used the same cables so that is not the issue either.

aziraphael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had (still have) this issue and for me, the culprit was oPlayer. If I add, say, a video file about the size of ~150MB, it takes about ten minutes longer than usual to perform a backup. That's ten minutes per video file added. It's one-time only though, so once I have the video loaded and backed up once, it won't take nearly as long in subsequent backups. I find it also helps a great deal, if you're in Windows, to set AppleMobileDeviceBackUp (or something along the line, the exact process name eludes me at this time) to high priority.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also using the original cable too without success. Mine appears to not even start after waiting what seems like forever.

I so understand your frustration. What I finally did was deleted all my apps ( you can get them back without paying ) uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes.

I was determined to fix this 8 hour playing with iTunes crap. It worked. Some thought I had a bad app or some error in iTunes.

Unfortunately ~ I deleted my 26 apps and iTunes at the same time, so I don't really know which it was.:(

narkoslakare

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad routinely takes over six hours to backup, and I've got into the habit of checking the cross and going straight to Sync.
Today, iTunes is forcing me to upgrade to iOS software version 4.2, which requires a full backup or it doesn't make the upgrade. Two hours later, it's still backing-up and I have no idea how long it's going to take.
Let's hope version 4.2 solves the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts