What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Slanjivar" From Scotland

scotsmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slanj friends Dougie form Scotland here, just splashed out and took the plunge and bought a ipad2 !!!

Having been a Pc user for some 15+ years now hey what a shock, a very different operation it is to get used to although in ways similar?

So why did i buy? darn good question, basically i am a semi retired but still functioning webmaster/owner of a VW Van forum and a few others for my sins as such due to ill health [important point here] as i have MS and find often a keybaord har dto use and voice activated software is still not conversant in enough of a degree with the "Scottish" accent to be useful enough so a soft-touch screen was my only route, but it also had to be portable, light and able to be used from a bed where sadly i spend a good portion of my time nowadays which after investigation nothing else in its price bracket really was sad reality that Windows operated machines are so far back and archaoch in this respect...

So having purchased i first had to overcome the severe lack of information in teh box?? a flyer sized piece of card with 3 instructions really doesnt cut it Apple come-on, not everyone first off has access to a PC nor do they use Apple Stote or Itunes a bad mistake in my view to pressume anything luckily we had a PC although not Itunes after i kid you not 6 attempts and hours of hair pulling i finally got it to opeate and have been ok ever since however a decent manaula would of gone a LONG LONG way to assist me with this i really find it incredible in this day and age it does not come with any such materials..

So having taken the plunge i am not wholly unimpressed with it, but have my doubts, and my scepticm about the product that will only be altered through use, i still object to ahving to again purchase software that i have already done on my current PC just as Apple have an obvious monopoly on software that you reaquire to get any functionality from the machine much as most is not that expensive a mere £0.69 - £ 1.69 a piece although that could soon mount up if not carefull, and so to my questions then for now?

1 - Who does one know what size, a document, a file or an image is on the Ipad so as to know when storage is running low? i can see no way of gaining this information..
1A - Is there a way to find out how much overall of the available GB's storage availablel that you have used on an Ipad 2 and if so how?
2 - How do you remove downloaded apps when no longer required i.e uninstall useless apps??
3 - Is there any preferably FREE software that will interegrate Microsoft Word docs to Ipad and back again.
5 - I have for years kept a daily diary just written in word 2007 formats but can not use this on my Ipad so how can i transfer, use said diary on my Ipad or is there any similar products for ipad that i can download my previous few years diaries and carry on in my ipad format if you se what i mean [i require to keep, health, drug and feelings logs on my various conditions, it would be so great if i did not require to re-write 2+ years of diary to get it all in the one format again it was previously written in mobile word 2001 from an Ipaq devise that is easily readable on my main PC as all was stored on an SD card of course with no external storage systems able to be used this also causes me an issue more later about that though]

I welcome your thoughts, help and assistance on these few points guys and look forward to contributing and asking more as time progresses ....

For now
Slanj

shelleyftw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey slanj

1A. If you go to settings, click on general on the side of the screen Then select about. In here it will tell you how many gb of space your iPad has and how much you space you have used.

2. To remove unwanted downloaded apps, if you hold you finger on the app till they all start to shake, there should be a black circle with a cross in it. If you press on this, it will ask if you want to delete the app then you select yes and it will disappear.

For you question on word, I will say how I transfer between iPad and Microsoft word for all of my university work.

I have a dropbox account setup on my windows vista laptop, which can easily setup and downloaded to your computer.

When you downloaded it, drop box will appear as a folder on your computer which is linked to your online account of dropbox.

Then I have the drop box app for iPad installed on my iPad which when logged in will sync between the account.

But this is where it starts to get a little bit of problem and confusing.

I use the pages app on my iPad (which as an option will upload the files a .doc file) to write a lot of my uni work, then when I want it to be shared with my computer via dropbox, I have to use a Web Dav which is something that will upload your files via a server to drop box which usually charge but I have managed to find one which is free but has a upload limit of 1mb.

Then this will upload them to your drop box which will make them accessible to you on your computer via your dropbox folder, and when you upload files to your drop box you can acceded them via the app.

Sorry I couldn't make that any more simple or shorter. I'm sure there must be a easier way but I have yet to find one at the moment before they release iso 5.

If you need anymore help just ask.

Shelley.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi and welcome Slanj, from a windswept, rain-lashed NE of Scotland.

Like Shelley, I too use Pages, which for £6 is worth the money. I find the simplest way to transfer files between my iPad and the various comps I use at home, is simply to email them to myself.

I don't know if you live anywhere near an Apple store, but I have made full use of the excellent free classes that they run on a very regular basis.

I'd also recommend that you take some (actually you'll need a lot) of time to read right through the tips and tricks thread on this forum, as it is stuffed full of very useful info and has taught me a great deal.

OP
S

scotsmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys i will fo course take time shortly to read through teh tips 7 Tricks section dont have that time right now not feeling to great tooday though...... :( If its any consolation im in a windswept Central Scotland [Loch Lomond]

Shelley cheers for that i will look into your suggestion and try them out for now cheers guys i will make the fullest use of all i can from here again thanks for now..

Anyone else feel free to comment ...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts