What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just learning my way around. Downloaded Skype and be able to make calls to businesses. Can I make a local call and how? Thanks

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget your headset

Skype works great without a headset on the iPad.

I was able to use Skye on my iPad during my last trip to Canada for very little cost. I purchased a local area code phone number from Skype.com for around $18 for three months then just had my wife call me. While running backgrounder I was able to use my iPad and not miss a call. You can also buy credits to make phone calls to normal phone numbers.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you share with me how to make Skype run on background ? Need to jail break iPad ?

The newest release of the Skype app supposedly added this feature. Before that, I had to have the Skype app open to receive calls. When I updated the app last, it said his was being added, but I haven't personally tried it yet.

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you share with me how to make Skype run on background ? Need to jail break iPad ?

The newest release of the Skype app supposedly added this feature. Before that, I had to have the Skype app open to receive calls. When I updated the app last, it said his was being added, but I haven't personally tried it yet.

I used a program call backgrounder on my jailbreak iPad to run it in the background.

I believe the new version that you are referring to runs in the background on iOS4.1 for the iPhone.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not familiar with skype (well, I'm familiar with it, I just haven't used it), but the iSip app will "ring" whether open or not. If you can attach your skype account to the iSip application (I have a gizmo5 account and can) then this may work for non-jailbroken iPads.

Intranetsites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok is android any better? I assume it is the carrier / apple agreement that is blocking voip functions.

this month I just went $185 over my mins on my $80/mnth near maximum Roger voice data plan on my cell phone.... 1600 mins total with 35 cents per min for overage.

Would use my iPad for about 50% of those mins using skype and a blue tooth headset. Eg blueant when in the car.

skype works well on the ipad but is rendered useless without a headset

In Canada we have had very limited expensive voice and data plan that really penalize the heavy user as compared to the States

if the iPad had a built in camera and voip capacity. Wow!

So yes I understand that carriers will lose the. Terrible. Voice mins rip off

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok is android any better? I assume it is the carrier / apple agreement that is blocking voip functions.

this month I just went $185 over my mins on my $80/mnth near maximum Roger voice data plan on my cell phone.... 1600 mins total with 35 cents per min for overage.

Would use my iPad for about 50% of those mins using skype and a blue tooth headset. Eg blueant when in the car.

skype works well on the ipad but is rendered useless without a headset

In Canada we have had very limited expensive voice and data plan that really penalize the heavy user as compared to the States

if the iPad had a built in camera and voip capacity. Wow!

So yes I understand that carriers will lose the. Terrible. Voice mins rip off
Be aware that even though Skype is free with registered users on a computer, if you use it with the iPad on a 3G network they will charge you after one free month of use.

Catholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffsOcean.com
Also, if you have Skype with no calling plan, you can call 800 numbers for free. You can call any business by calling 1-800-Goog-411. They will automatically connect you to the number you request.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't need a headset to use Skype on my iPad....I guess if I was in public I would feel self-conscious talking into it but the calls are so clear, I really would not bother...or I would just use the earplugs with mic attached which I use with my iPod touch.

Most reactions

Latest posts