What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype question

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have the iPad 2 and I am trying to video chat with my friend in Australia, who does not have FaceTime (she uses a PC). Will Skype work for video chatting? Has anyone used the app that is now in the market? Should I tell her to download something else? It's important that we have good quality calls.
Any advice?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype works fine on the iPad1 and iPad2. While it's only an iPhone app, it's fully compatible with the iPad and, on the iPad2, it supports the cameras. On the iPad1, of course, it can't send video, but an incoming Skype call with video content displays perfectly.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used Skype on my iPad 1 and 2 with domestic U.S. calls and overseas calls in either direction, depending on where I am. The connection quality varies, probably depending on interference and such. Sometimes the connection stutters or cuts off; sometimes it's fine. No pattern that I can tell. The picture quality is a bit blurry on iPad 2, but heck it's free, so I can't complain.

Gorseinonboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments about the use of Skype. We currently use this on a Macbook with good effect all over the world but mainly to Japan & Canada from the UK. Because we recently purchased an Ipad1 I hadn't been minded to put Skype on - but it seems it works perfectly well for some of you in spite of not having pics...........Thanks. And as you say it's FREE!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
New to the iPad but added the Skype app the other day (we have a camera & Skype on our desktop - wife & son talk a lot w/ each other) - so I was in the basement on my treadmill & spouse was on the computer - made a Skype call to her from the iPad - no problem @ all! Of course, your friend will need the right hardware & software - good luck! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts