What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skyfire or puffin

Hjpra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please help me choose between these two browser? The comments on the app store are not helping.
Do any of them actually work on flash, video and photo spreads?
I'm new to ios and having a hard time...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Puffin is cheap, so it's probably the first of the two you should try, if you don't get a better opinion. Whether either of them will work well, if they work at all, with your sites is problematic. If you can post the site's URL (and it is accessible to guests) other's might be willing to give it a try and tell you their results.

I noticed that Puffin was updated a few days ago, and that brings up an important point. Check when each app has received their last updates. If it hasn't seen an update in over six months it may no longer be supported. For some app types that's not terribly important, but browsers need maintenance updates.

None of the Flash enabled browsers are great. They tend to be slow, and the UI elements don't always translate nicely. The only way to know if they will work is to try them.

If your sites are actually using Java and not Flash, you might want to give Opera Mini a try. It's free.

As always, make sure to search the App Store and see if your site has an app. Many of the popular sites do, and often they work better than the site.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've used Puffin for the last 4 months. The way I work is to use Safari for my regular browsing, and then if I reach a site using Flash and I want to view the Flash content I cut'n'paste the url into Puffin. Soooo... although I've not actually used Puffin a lot I've yet to find a Flash site it hasn't played OK. Performance has been OK too. I haven't tried Skyfire. Hope this helps.

OP
Hjpra

Hjpra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jenningsville said:
I've used Puffin for the last 4 months. The way I work is to use Safari for my regular browsing, and then if I reach a site using Flash and I want to view the Flash content I cut'n'paste the url into Puffin. Soooo... although I've not actually used Puffin a lot I've yet to find a Flash site it hasn't played OK. Performance has been OK too. I haven't tried Skyfire. Hope this helps.

Thank you for answering, I'm really having a hard time getting in to ios, used to be an Android user and it was very easy to figure out the best apps, it's extremely hard on ios. The app store as few to none reviews and virtually no comments.
Maybe I'll try puffin then.
If anyone else has used these browsers please feel free to chip in.
Thanks.

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used Puffin a while ago but found it to be slow and choppy. I then tried skyfire it works great but you are constantly having to log in if you leave to check emails which is a pain. A couple of weeks ago Puffin was updated to have a virtual mouse as well as a keyboard, it runs faster and I don't have keep logging into Facebook if I leave the program. Out of the two Puffin is the best.

evaddnomaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skyfire has been downloaded millions of times by users who want to save bandwidth and view Flash video. Skyfire's a great choice for video from a variety of sites, although not all videos are supported. Skyfire does not support Flash games, Flash apps, or full Flash sites, but it's a great choice for viewing Flash video.

(Disclosure: I am employed by Skyfire.)

ipadluva69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are so smart and knowledgeable with your responses!!

QUOTE="twerppoet"]Puffin is cheap, so it's probably the first of the two you should try, if you don't get a better opinion. Whether either of them will work well, if they work at all, with your sites is problematic. If you can post the site's URL (and it is accessible to guests) other's might be willing to give it a try and tell you their results.

I noticed that Puffin was updated a few days ago, and that brings up an important point. Check when each app has received their last updates. If it hasn't seen an update in over six months it may no longer be supported. For some app types that's not terribly important, but browsers need maintenance updates.

None of the Flash enabled browsers are great. They tend to be slow, and the UI elements don't always translate nicely. The only way to know if they will work is to try them.

If your sites are actually using Java and not Flash, you might want to give Opera Mini a try. It's free.

As always, make sure to search the App Store and see if your site has an app. Many of the popular sites do, and often they work better than the site.[/QUOTE]

iPad 3 user

ipadluva69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded it, and I concur. Awesome. Have visited many sites and it works flawlessly and effortlessly.

Slinkybambi said:
Puffin is awesome! I have had no trouble with it since the update!

iPad 3 user

Most reactions