What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Site address question

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

At times I simply use my iPad 2 to search for something or other (and sometimes I actually find it).

Often as not, I need to run up that same site on my Windows 7 PC to follow instruction, and there by lays the problem.

I will use this Forum site as an example. The address according to this iPad is "ipadforums.net". But my PC requires an address something like. www.https://ipadforums.net, or some such.

In other words, I need the full address. :)

My question is, how do I convert the iPad "short address" into the required Windows PC long address, is there a setting that I can toggle to achieve this result.

Regards

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The full address for the home page of iPad Forums is http://www.ipadforums.net/

In regards to your PC, the windows laptop I used to use never required the full address. All I did was enter iPad forum into the search bar in Google, then click on the correct search result.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

I will try as you say.
I think I may have done that before and I seem to remember the when I did that I was presented with the Google multi listings page from we're I had to choose a link.

I will none the less give it a go and just hope you are correct and I am mistaken.

If I can find my way back to this post tomorrow I will advise how I went. :rolleyes:

Regards

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I generally do is email links to myself.. Then, when I'm on my desktop computer, I open the mail and just click on the link. This is very handy with extra long URLs. To forward the link, just touch the square with the up arrow on the top left of the iPad screen.. The mail the link option is there.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi all.

At times I simply use my iPad 2 to search for something or other (and sometimes I actually find it).

Often as not, I need to run up that same site on my Windows 7 PC to follow instruction, and there by lays the problem.

I will use this Forum site as an example. The address according to this iPad is "ipadforums.net". But my PC requires an address something like. www.https://ipadforums.net, or some such.

In other words, I need the full address. :)

My question is, how do I convert the iPad "short address" into the required Windows PC long address, is there a setting that I can toggle to achieve this result.

Hello - just a couple of comments that may help: 1) Why not setup a 'Bookmarks' folder on your iPad's home screen, i.e. when you visit a site, simple tap the box w/ the outgoing arrow (top left) - multiple options will appear including 'Add to Home Screen'; once you've accumulated a number of these 'shortcuts', then put all in a folder - a simple tap will quickly take you to the site of interest; and 2) On your PC, most browsers usually default to 'www.http:' so that does not need to be entered; and most once learned will pop up a list of websites after typing in just a few letters (this happens on my MBPro using Safari, i.e. as soon as I hit 'ip' this forum's address appears @ the top of the list) - you need to check in the Windows 7 browser(s) that you are using to determine how to automate this feature (e.g. auto fill in, general, preferences, etc.)

Good luck and let us know if you're making progress - Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The browsers I know (Firefox, IE, Safari, Opera, Chrome), which can be used on a PC, support bookmarks, that help you access websites you use most with just one single mouse click. So you wouldn't have to enter http://www. nameofthewebsite. anything the whole time.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys, a lot of good answers. Over time no doubt I will find which of your suggestions suit me the best, some I have already tried in some form or other. I think I should look at organising myself a little better also. :)

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several way to get the full address out of the URL bar. The short display'ed version is only for your sake, to make it look a bit less cluttered.

Tap and hold on the URL bar, wait for the magnifying glass to appear, release, then choose Select All and Copy. When you Paste the result anywhere it will have the full address.

If you use the share icon (box with up arrow) and mail, message, copy, or otherwise send the page anywhere the full URL is used.

Most reactions

Latest posts