What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto fill email address

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the search facility for this question and the info said to go to settings, safari, and select auto fill. However, when I tried this there only seemed to be an option to switch on or off for entering your log in and password for sites. I don't want to do that - I only want to auto fill my email address as this is used so often as my user name for so many sites. Can some kind person talk me through step by step how I can auto fill my email address when required.
PS. When I go to settings, safari, there is nothing in My Info in the contacts part - how and where do I enter my info?
Thank you

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, short of setting up AutoFill for all the sites you visit, there is no way to have just your e-mail address set so you can enter it. Sorry.

There is a tweak called Double At that you can get from Cydia if you are jailbroken - but that's only if you are jail broken.

For a stock iPad, looks as if you'll have to type it in, or have AutoFill save every one (and, eventually, you'll have all those sites saved...).

Marilyn

OP
Grinchy

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for this. Can you tell me how secure the iPad is. By this I mean if it remembers your email address and password surely you are laying yourself open to someone maybe accessing your financial information in your sites? Am I right in saying you cannot get it to just autofill email address and not the password. Sorry to be a bit thick with this one, but I do get fed up constantly entering an email address - don't mind entering passwords.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are going to turn on auto-fill, Names and Passwords, then it would be wise to also turn on Passcode Lock so that someone can not just pick up your iPad and use it. You'll find it under the General settings. I'd recommend turning off Simple Passcode as well.

Don't forget your Passcode, or you will have to restore the iPad to get back in yourself.

I'm a risk taker, so I do not lock my iPad, but I also do not turn on auto-fill, and on sensitive sites I am careful not to check the Remember me check box, and sign out when I am finished. I keep a good password app on the iPad for those times I can not remember what password/username goes with a site. Takes a bit longer, but that's the price of security; time and caution.

Last edited:
OP
Grinchy

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are going to turn on auto-fill, Names and Passwords, then it would be wise to also turn on Passcode Lock so that someone can not just pick up your iPad and use it. You'll find it under the General settings. I'd recommend turning off Simple Passcode as well.

Don't forget your Passcode, or you will have to restore the iPad to get back in yourself.

I'm a risk taker, so I do not lock my iPad, but I also do not turn on auto-fill, and on sensitive sites I am careful not to check the Remember me check box, and sign out when I am finished. I keep a good password app on the iPad for those times I can not remember what password/username goes with a site. Takes a bit longer, but that's the price of security; time and caution.

Thank you for your excellent advice. In the interests of security I will forego auto fill. Just a pity it cannot just autofill a simple piece of text like an email address. Also, what app are you referring to for remembering login/passwords, and how secure is it?
Really grateful for your help and advice.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Grinchy said:
Also, what app are you referring to for remembering login/passwords, and how secure is it?
Really grateful for your help and advice.

I use 1Password. It is very secure, has versions for most devices and computers, lots of extra features (mostly for desktop browsers), and you can sync them through DropBox. But it is one of the more expensive options, especially if you buy versions for both the computer and iPad.

If you have an iPhone be sure to choose the Universal version.

Most reactions

Latest posts