What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Single-page landscape orientation for iBooks

EllingsonBen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I've been asked to create a children's iBook for the iPad. It will need to be in landscape orientation so a single page can be viewed when held in the manner that typically displays two pages side-by-side. This has been achieved to perfection in the "Go the F**k to Sleep" book. (Try the free sample & you'd see all you need to see.) Anyone know how this was done? Thanks, Ben.

LoreenLeedy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks with full page art are "fixed layout" EPUBS (no reflowable text). The iBook mentioned and many other picture books do have the faux gutter and are still 2-page layouts. I'm not a coder but am pretty sure that the horizontal page size is achieved by tweaking the "viewport" dimensions. If you haven't checked out Liz Castro's site, she has several books about EPUB, including one about Fixed-Layout iBooks on her Pigs, Gourds, and Wikis blog. It's the Feb. 9, 2011 post.

OP
E

EllingsonBen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes indeed, LoreenLeedy, "Fixed Layout" is the key to what I was calling "Landscape Orientation". & it's all explained in the iBookstore Asset Guide. Thanks for your reply.

Most reactions

Latest posts