What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple way to add audio files

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife's downloaded some audio files from a CD into iTunes to use in her Mandarin tutoring. I've put them all in a separate folder to make moving them easier. What's the simplest way to get that folder onto her iPad2 without affecting any of her other music or apps? We're not using the Cloud and haven't updated from 4.3.2. yet for various reasons. Don't want to at this point. Just want to get her files onto the iPad but don't want to mess up what's currently on there. Any help is appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Assuming you are already using iTunes to sync your music with the iPad. If not, say so and I have a different suggestion.

In iTunes, select all the new files, then right click on them and choose Get Info. (OK the dialog about editing more than one file) Go to the Options tab and change the Media Kind to Podcast or Audiobook; whichever seems most appropriate to you. Go to the appropriate tab in iTunes (with the iPad selected) and set the files up to sync by whatever method you like best.

After syncing, the files will show up in the category you selected under the More tab (Music app).

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you are already using iTunes to sync your music with the iPad. If not, say so and I have a different suggestion.

In iTunes, select all the new files, then right click on them and choose Get Info. (OK the dialog about editing more than one file) Go to the Options tab and change the Media Kind to Podcast or Audiobook; whichever seems most appropriate to you. Go to the appropriate tab in iTunes (with the iPad selected) and set the files up to sync by whatever method you like best.

After syncing, the files will show up in the category you selected under the More tab (Music app).
Thanks Poet. Yes, I'm synching with iTunes on the PC. I'll try your suggestion as to changing the Media Kind. My main concern is doing this without affecting any of her other music or apps. Will this allow me to do that as long as I have all appropriate boxes selected or unselected?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes. Once the files are changed to a non-music media kind they will neither sync with nor show up anywhere on the iPad as music. (to the best of my knowledge, I mean, there are a lot of apps out there).

They also sync under different settings than Music, so you won't have to change what music you are syncing.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Once the files are changed to a non-music media kind they will neither sync with nor show up anywhere on the iPad as music. (to the best of my knowledge, I mean, there are a lot of apps out there).

They also sync under different settings than Music, so you won't have to change what music you are syncing.
Thank you sir. :)

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!
This is the one failing on the iPad for me. You can't just simply add something to existing content.:confused: I tried as you suggested and changed the "kind" on the files. But I can't find them anywhere to select them once I connect her iPad. And then if I try to sync just the folder I created as music files, I get a prompts asking if I'm sure I want to delete 9 APPS etc. or am I sure I want to sync this or that because it'll delete all music files or apps or whatever. WTF! NO! I don't want to delete any apps. I just want to add these dang files. iTunes needlessly makes this so damn hard to do!! Unless you're someone like yourself with an intimate knowledge of what you're doing, or you sync/backup often it's just so intimidating to try and go through this process that you just don't even want to try, at least I don't. Even if you have someone like you trying to help, unless they're sitting right next to you helping you navigate through every dropbox and prompt and question the system throws at you, it's overwhelming. Sorry for the rant. I just have no idea what the heck I'm doing and it's frustrating because my wife just wants these on her iPad and I don't know how to get them there.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, now I'm really confused. When I try to go back and play one of her files or select "Get info", I get a dialogue box saying "The song "uang" could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" When I try to locate it I get a box that in the "where" says it's in "file://localhost/D:/CFE/.ipod/Copy to iTunes Music Library//01 Chinese Phonetics/02 Finals/31uang.mp3" What the heck does that mean?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
As much as I like the iPad and iOS, I find the sync mechanism for media content annoying. On my side, I use Air Disk Pro, and drop any media files into the shared document folder of the app (or simply via wifi).

There is a lot of apps able to handle media files, like FileApp or GoodReader, but I discovered lately Air Disk Pro, and it is perfect.

With iTunes, you have access to that folder by selecting the Apps tab. With Ubuntu Linux, it is directly supported and displayed as a new USB drive, where all apps Document folder is available.

My 2 cents

VicoPad addict!

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Annoying only begins to describe it. I ended up deleting her original files (or remnants) and re-downloading them into iTunes again. Made a separate folder for them and tried to sync only that folder. But between having to transfer purchases/backup her iPad first and trying to figure out which boxes to check and uncheck to sync the PC ran out of space and somehow all I managed to do was delete all the music off her iPad. :( Now I guess I'm pretty much stuck until I figure out a way to clear some space and then try and sync the music back on along with the new files. I've never felt so defeated by a piece of equipment. >sigh<

Martinbowden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Annoying only begins to describe it. I ended up deleting her original files (or remnants) and re-downloading them into iTunes again. Made a separate folder for them and tried to sync only that folder. But between having to transfer purchases/backup her iPad first and trying to figure out which boxes to check and uncheck to sync the PC ran out of space and somehow all I managed to do was delete all the music off her iPad. :( Now I guess I'm pretty much stuck until I figure out a way to clear some space and then try and sync the music back on along with the new files. I've never felt so defeated by a piece of equipment. >sigh<

Can't u use avplayerhd I'm sure you can set files on it

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
o
Can't u use avplayerhd I'm sure you can set files on it
Not familiar with that app. I just wanted to take some audio files that are right there in my iTunes list and migrate them to the iPad, nothing else. I just want a button that says "Add just these files and don't change anything else." No transferring purchases, no updating, no backing up, no syncing, nothing else. Doesn't seem like too much to ask really.

Most reactions

Latest posts