What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple question from a simpleton!

Gensca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I use the icons at the top of the post? When I depress for instance "BOLD" (B) before I type it gives me " " . If I type and highlight what I want bold I get the following: following, the word that I wanted bold in the middle! It seems so simple,but I cannot figure it out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As you can see, the second options is what works. The stuff in square brackets that surround the word determine what it will do. They have a beginning tag and and end tag for each type. Then end tag is the same as the beginning with a / in front of it.

Or if you are doing this from a computer, you can click on the left top button in the menu bar to switch to the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor; which will act more like what you are used to in a word processor.

Attachments

• WYSIWYG.jpg
    WYSIWYG.jpg
    727 bytes · Views: 323
Last edited:
OP
G

Gensca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me but I still do not understand how to use the icons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You highlight the text you want to change, then you click on the icon. That is the easiest way. In the standard editor the text will be surrounded by some tags; similar to this for bold text.

HTML:
[B]some text[/B]

The result when you view the post would be.

some text

In the WYSIWYG editor you would simply see the bold text, not the code. When in the WYSIWYG editor you can also click on the icon, start typing the altered text, and click on it again when you want to stop. So click on B for bold, type some bold text (which you will see immediately), then click on it again to stop.

If you want more control, and to see what things will look like, you can alway click on the Advanced option at the bottom of quick reply editor. There you wills see a Preview Post button that you can click on at any time. This will show you what you post will look like in the preview pane (above the editor). You can use this to experiment with the various tags and learn what they do.

Most reactions