What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sim card tray stuck, need help please

endikus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone has experienced and managed to release it back, please do share. With step how to do it.
Many thanks before.....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the usual SIM card release tool supplied with the iPad doesn't work. If you have a SIM card in the tray, it's possible that the upper edge of the card is catching on the edge of the case as you? try to release it and iJayTate's suggestion should work fine because it will hold the SIM card 'down' while you operate the release tool. If there is no SIM card in the tray, then I'm not sure if that will help too much. A trip to the Apple Store might be required.

If you go to the iFixit website you can see a 'teardown' there of a 3G iPad and that will show you how the inside of the SIM tray and the contacts are arranged, making it easier to visualise what you need to do.

However, a word of warning. One Member who had a similar problem ended up damaging the SIM card contacts that connect the SIM card to the iPad and this required a replacement iPad. So be *very* careful.

Tim

OP
endikus

endikus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank u for those tips, eventually took my ipad to one of electronics shop here in indonesia, and it cost me $45 dollar released the sim tray.

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the same problem and it annoys the hell out of me. unfortunately taking it to an apple store is not an option since my ipad is jailbroken. any idea how they did it?

OP
endikus

endikus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, the other way to do it, i was thingking to cut the edge of the sim tray, by doing this at least you can inside the sim tray then might can release it. but remember before doing that make sure you have the spare sim tray. i did check to one of the apple store in Indonesia. it cost $40 each. this only suggestion. please do be carefull.

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
endikus said:
well, the other way to do it, i was thingking to cut the edge of the sim tray, by doing this at least you can inside the sim tray then might can release it. but remember before doing that make sure you have the spare sim tray. i did check to one of the apple store in Indonesia. it cost $40 each. this only suggestion. please do be carefull.

Thanks for the tip. I managed to get it out in the end. For anyone else struggling with this, just insert the key at a 45 degree angle and then angle it such that the key comes close to being parallel to the iPad. This should be enough leverage to get the tray out enough for a pen knife or even a kitchen knife to slip in to pull the tray out.

Most reactions

Latest posts