What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sim Card for IPad2

junemarch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently bought an IPad 2 and am trying to get through all the instuctions but I am
not sure about the sim card!! it does give instructions on how to open the sim card reader
but I am not sure if I have to get a sim card to put into the Ipad...
I have managed to get onto the internet via my wireless connection so why do I need/or not need
a sim card.
Hope you can help me
Junemarch

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have recently bought an IPad 2 and am trying to get through all the instuctions but I am
not sure about the sim card!! it does give instructions on how to open the sim card reader
but I am not sure if I have to get a sim card to put into the Ipad...
I have managed to get onto the internet via my wireless connection so why do I need/or not need
a sim card.
Hope you can help me
Junemarch

Usually, if you have 3G on the iPad, it comes with a sim card per-installed (it always comes with a sim card if you've bought it new). The sim card is so you can sign up for a plan with your carrier to get 3G access when WiFi is not available.

If you decide to buy 3G air time, go to your Settings app (the gear icon) and, on the left side, you'll see a line titled Cellular Data. If you press that line, on the right will be a screen where you will have the option to open an account. you'll just need to follow the prompts...

Only an individual can decide if they need 3G access for when WiFi is not available. For instance, I have a the 3G iPad, but I don't have it activated at the moment because my iPad stays at home for the most part, were I have my WiFi. No need to pay for access I won't/don't need. But, it's up to every person to decide.

Hope some of this helps and clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
J

junemarch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I will keep this information for future ref as I am using my own wireless connection at home
regards Junemarch

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPads sold in Australia don't have a preinstalled sim card
Just go to a store of your choice and buy one when needed and have it activated in store.
You need to have ID with you when purchasing a sim here.

I notice the OP is in the UK,
Have just included this info for any Aussies who happen on this thread.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, leelai. you'd think after this amount of time, I'd member to check for where a person resides. :D

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol Marilyn...I've done it more times than I care to remember

I find they are not often there either. :)

iPad 2 3G 64gb

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPads sold through the online Apple store in Canada give you the option of ordering an iPad with a Sim card pre-installed or not.

Last edited:
OP
J

junemarch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do I need to have a Sim Card? as I am able to get onto the internet through my wireless connection... and I don't think that I will be using it to phone anyone !!!

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
junemarch said:
Why do I need to have a Sim Card? as I am able to get onto the internet through my wireless connection... and I don't think that I will be using it to phone anyone !!!

It's not for phoning anyone. Your sim will be for a 3G data plan to connect to the Internet when not in range if your wifi, for example travelling on a train, in a football stadium, painting landscapes in Gloucester etc.

If you only plan to use your iPad in your house or in a place where you can get free wifi access then you do not need the 3G sim.

Most reactions

Latest posts