What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Showing Folder sizes?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since iPad OS 15.x won’t show the total size of Folders, what do people do, short of getting the file sizes of each child file and adding them manually?

I guess another method of approximating total folder size would be to compress the folder, then guesstimating the size of the un-compressed folder?

Last edited:

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since iPad OS 15.x won’t show the total size of Folders, what do people do, short of getting the file sizes of each child file and adding them manually?

I guess another method of approximating total folder size would be to compress the folder, then guesstimating the size of the un-compressed folder?

It really depends on which folders you want to know the size of. I’m assuming you’re talking about folders in the Files app, if so you can see the size of some folders, however they have to be ‘user created’ folders and not ‘system’ created’.

For user folders, if you ‘long press’ on the folder and you see a ‘share’ option, select it and the folder size will be shown at the top of the share box. Unfortunately system folders have no share option, so hopefully in time Apple will realise their error and add the option.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Your question made me wonder if I could make a shortcut that would do this non-manually. The answer was yes, but more work than practical for just file size when Aerofly has provided an easier solution. But it was fun making it.

I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that folder size doesn't show under Get Info for the folder.

IMG_0912.PNG

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is pretty cool tho, from an accomplishment standpoint…it seems like the shortcuts app can be made to do some pretty useful things.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, I love the Shortcut idea. I see it still uses the ‘Share’ option, does that mean it’s still restricted to user made folders with the share option?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, I love the Shortcut idea. I see it still uses the ‘Share’ option, does that mean it’s still restricted to user made folders with the share option?

It seems to work only with user made folders, but that seems to include folder you create in an apps folder. For instance the folder I tested it on was a folder inside my Documents app’s main folder. I can not use it on the top level Documents app folder. That doesn’t mater much since you can get info on app’s overall storage size in the Settings app, wither under local storage or iCloud drive. in the Settings app.

I’ll play arround a bit more and see if there are other uses. I have not tried it on other cloud service.

You can also get other data like Creation and Modification dates, as well as Number of Items. The last is limited to the root folder and counts folders as well as files (not subfolders and files).

The size does count subfolders, if you enable recursive.

Here is what my current shortcut looks like.

239B675F-D032-4281-90CD-86FCC172F051.png

Last edited:

Griddley R Bach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well just picked up my iPad Mini 6 and with my bluetooth trackpad/keyboard, pencil, 6 port hub, even can use usb mouse, the file size info capability in iPqdOS16 2ill be great.

Most reactions

Latest posts