What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I use 3G on cruise ship or wi fi

appleuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me about most efficient settingson i pad and i phone on cruise ship? I will use it to check emails each day but should I use cruise ship internet or use my 3G service? I have an i phone also and will make and receive a couple of calls each day. I've read many ways to do this including skype and other apps. Does anyone know the best way to do this?

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not done this but assume 3G, when available is going to be hellish expensive

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you have any 3G signal at all and

you probably will not, why pay for slow connectivity when free (wifi) faster connectivity is available? To me 3G is the court of last resort only to be used when no wifi is immediately available.

Ian B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roaming charges on open sea and ports will kill you. Better keep it on wifi at all times. Don't tell me I did not warn you. I am a frequent cruiser and have seen it happen to people.

Ian B

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed re. the roaming costs being very expensive. How far out to sea would you get coverage anyway? 20-30 miles?

Wifi must be the better way to go. Probably a good idea to check in advance that the ship has it and the charges are reasonable (or free).

cthom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no cell towers out in the ocean; ship wifi very expensive also

Jane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my bb on a cruise ship last January and signed up for the international data package ahead of time which cost about $7 for the week. I can't remember how much data I was allowed for that price but it was more than enough to Check emails dAily and surf the web a little. Wifi was a fortune so I turned that off. Without the international plan cellular use would have cost a small fortune. Also, every Att rep told me something different so read your carriers rules yourself and don't rely on what the rep tells you. Have a good trip.

Most reactions

Latest posts