What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get a warranty and if so, which one?

kwitel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Picked up my new Ipad 3 about 3 weeks ago and still have a week to make a decision.
I bought it at Best Buy; could go with a BB or Apple warranty.

What type of warranty do I have with the Ipad alone and, would you buy an extended warranty on top of that?

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleCare.. Do not get another for iPad. You can not beat it for two years, it's not just replacement but tech support as well. Square trade is great for devices but I would not recommend it for Ipad

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also remember, some credit cards automatically add another year to the factory warranty for purchased items.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Applecare +.

Normally I do not buy warranties for electronic gear, but the iPad is just too easy to drop. It is $99 for two years, and you get two incidents, at $50 for each. Now, this is not for things that just go wrong...your standard warranty will cover that for a year. AC+ will give you accident protection. The reason I suggest AC+ is because all you need to do is take it to the apple store to get things handled. If there is no apple store near you, the math changes, IMO.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd say AppleCare too - IF you don't plan to change your iPad each year.

I look at it this way, in the UK, the 16gb iPad is £399, the AppleCare £69.
I can get £266 for ipad 3 from CeX. £266 + £69 = £335.
Assuming the iPad 4 also retails at £399, then it will only cost me an extra £64 for 2 years warranty - one year with a new ipad3, one year with the ipad 4. :)

Or to put it in a slightly less confusing way...

2 year cost of ipad3 with applecare = 399 + 69 = 468

2 year cost of ipad3 + ipad4 = (399 + 399) - 266 = 532

Difference is 532 - 468 = 64

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI: I've read previously that Amazon was selling SquareTrade iPad warranties that required no deductible (vs. AppleCare and SquareTrade warranties sold via ST's own website, which both require $50 deductibles for cases of accidental damage). So if anyone is considering an extended warranty, that might be worth looking into.

As I posted previously, I don't buy extended warranties, so I've not bothered researching.

Added: I just googled this, but there probably are variations for two-year vs. three-coverage, too, which I didn't bother looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-A...anty-800-900/dp/B004M5OZXM/ref=cm_rdp_product

This is a no-deductible three-year plan. I would check out fine print if I were comparison shopping.

Last edited:
OP
K

kwitel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI: I've read previously that Amazon was selling SquareTrade iPad warranties that required no deductible (vs. AppleCare and SquareTrade warranties sold via ST's own website, which both require $50 deductibles for cases of accidental damage). So if anyone is considering an extended warranty, that might be worth looking into.

As I posted previously, I don't buy extended warranties, so I've not bothered researching.

Added: I just googled this, but there probably are variations for two-year vs. three-coverage, too, which I didn't bother looking for:

Amazon.com: SquareTrade 3-Year Tablet Accidental Protection Warranty ($800-900): Computers & Accessories

This is a no-deductible three-year plan. I would check out fine print if I were comparison shopping.

A 3 year warranty that covers spills and drops with 0 deductibles??

Seems to good to be true and that I may be missing something in the fine print...

Can anyone else chime in on this?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A 3 year warranty that covers spills and drops with 0 deductibles??

Seems to good to be true and that I may be missing something in the fine print...

Can anyone else chime in on this?

I'd ask ST for fine print.

nipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In europe you dont need apple care as all iphones and ipads ( also all apple products ) are covered by a 2 year cover , something apple was not happy about but after the huge fines in italy they have to give 2 years warrenty , maybe us owners should complain to make this a worldwide rule for apple products as they are not cheap products so you would expect a longer period than cheaper hp laptops ect ,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In europe you dont need apple care as all iphones and ipads ( also all apple products ) are covered by a 2 year cover , something apple was not happy about but after the huge fines in italy they have to give 2 years warrenty , maybe us owners should complain to make this a worldwide rule for apple products as they are not cheap products so you would expect a longer period than cheaper hp laptops ect ,

The European thing was because of an existing law. There's no chance that Apple will extend warranty overage just because customers in other countries complain. Apple is still fighting in Italy, despite having lost its case: Apple says disagrees with Italy antitrust complaint | Reuters

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fiachrag said:
I broke my screen on my iPad 3, it is still under warrenty, will apple replace it?

Unless you live in the European Union as noted in the previous posts, you will not see Apple replace the screen unless you have the AppleCare + plan for your iPad. The normal warranty doesn't cover accidental damage to the iPad.

Most reactions