What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Apple reconsider 7 inch?

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, I want to say that I agree with Steve Jobs that the 7 inch is too small to have the same user experience as the current iPad.
That being said I am looking at Samsung's claims of selling 1,000,000 Tabs already. In trying to analyze the buy decision of their customers, I have to say it must be based on the portability more than anything else. It can't be a value decision based on the current prices. It hard to think that they feel the performance and usability is better than the iPad unless they are so caught up with their Android phones. So, with the size being that strong of a decision factor wouldn't Apple be smart to just come out a with a IPad mini? They already probably have the design done so it would be just a matter of tooling up. This could also be the low price unit that is sold with less profit allowing Apple to retain their high profit on their " flagship" iPad. The key is they would throw a major wrench into the tablet market with the goal of delaying the competition from building up momentum. With the decent success of the Tab you already have Acer who was ready last year of staying out of the tablet market reverse their decision and plans to come in this coming year. I know it's early and with new tablet coming out the competition will probably canobolize themselves but if this many are sold they can build on that.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does Apple stop the momentum? Getting a new product in the pipe would take a minimum of 6 months, assuming they have a design already waiting. That gives the already selling, and announced Androids quite a lead time.

A seven inch iPad would harm primary iPad sales more than Android sales.

Doing bargain priced products at lower margins is not in Apples DNA. That would kill their current market plan and drop market prices like a rock.

Jobs would rather kill a product than admit he's wrong. He has proven that many times before.

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
M [Walt Mossberg]: A lot of people think given the success you've had with portable devices, you should be making a tablet or a PDA.
J [Steve Jobs]: There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. When Apple first started out, people couldn't type. We realized: Death would eventually take care of this." "We look at the tablet and we think it’s going to fail."

Interview - 2003

You'll have your 7 inch tablet in seven years. :D

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the current iPad screen size in landscape mode is the minimum needed to browse a regulare web site (not a mobile version) and I wouldn't consider a 7inch version.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, no interest at all. I have had small tablets before, nokia, and its not sensible.

If anything I would rather a 11-12" proper wide screen version

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All manufacturers of smart phone, are making bigger and bigger screens - for a reason.
I'd like to have iPAD 2 to be lighter and bigger ( 10 " maybe)

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7" is neither fish nor fowl, nor good red meat. IMO the iPhone and iPad cover the whole market, so why steal sales with something in between?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really think they should stick with 10 inch. I'm happy for the android crowd, but I want my user experience to be perfectly polished.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure Apple tested a variety of sizes before settling for the current one, judging them on a wide range of criteria from portability, battery life, readability, usability and longevity etc..
Also being a software firm they would be also preoccupied with the potential of the device and constraining the size to one where touch control is fiddly would be a limiting factor.
Personally I think they made the right decisions regarding size.

"Jobs would rather kill a product than admit he's wrong. He has proven that many times before."
wow..............you're not paranoid they really are watching you :)

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the current size is the sweet spot for tablets, but I think a 7 inch and a 12 inch would also sell. I say give people what they want. Let them choose.

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No No and No. After using the 7" tab for a few weeks it wasnt a very good experience. I found myself always having to use pinch to zoom on webpages, not a problem on the ipad. I felt like I was always wanting more with the tab. More screensize, more room to play games, more room to read my documents etc.

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you see the ipad as just a really big iphone which it is, I don't see a problem with have a 7 inch ipad. All the money still goes to apple and apple charges way more than it cost them so it's only a win for them.

Apply might do this is the next 10 inch ipad is just as heavy as this one. The ipad is too heavy. Hold a galaxy tab and tell that doesn't feel good.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think iPad 2 will be smaller in size, maybe not 7 inch, but probably 8 or something similar. This is because the samsung tab has sold 1 million already, thus there is room in the Market for a small size. 8 inch would actually be perfect : smaller and lighter but sill a good size to produce stunning apps and would still make a good size to watch movies.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Due to the fact that a smaller iPad will cut into the sales of the regular iPad I can't see them creating another product....just improving on this one.

Most reactions

Latest posts