What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I belong to a book club, and several of us would like to share books using our i pads. From the research I have done, it seems that the only way to do it is to sign out of one's iTunes account, and allow somebody else to sign into your account, and then download the book. Is that the only way to do it. We have 5 people in our sharing group. I would appreciate somebody telling me the easiest way to accomplish this.

Thank you.

pmstirling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about Dropbox? Everyone in the group installs the app, you upload it to Dropbox and share a link, allowing everyone else to download the book. You don't need to share a Dropbox account, if you upload to your account and share a link, anyone with the link can download the file.

The one issue might be DRM. If the ebook is protected I think you will need to share the iTunes account. In case that's geek speak to you, this means that if you bought the book on iTunes, it must be downloaded from your iTunes account. If you emailed a copy to someone else, they would not be able to read it. Also realize that iPads are registered to iTunes accounts, so others won't want to switch to yours as it would update their iPad in unwanted ways!

If the ebook is not copy protected, Dropbox would work fine, or you could just email it to everyone. If your ebooks are copy protected, then the protection is designed to prevent you sharing it! iTunes may allow lending, I have a Barnes & Noble nook which has a "lend me" feature, but it lets you lend the ebook to only one person at a time.

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
C

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ebooks would definitely be copy protected, since they are current books, so Dropbox won't work. I know people who have Kindles can share books---why can't people on iPads??

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ebooks would definitely be copy protected, since they are current books, so Dropbox won't work. I know people who have Kindles can share books---why can't people on iPads??

Kindle allows only limited sharing, dictated by publishers. Hard to blame publishers who wouldn't be keen on your whole book club sharing a copy of a book. If that feature is important to you, you might want to consider a Kindle. Amazon is the world's biggest bookseller, so they can negotiate better terms generally.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cathart said:
I belong to a book club, and several of us would like to share books using our i pads. From the research I have done, it seems that the only way to do it is to sign out of one's iTunes account, and allow somebody else to sign into your account, and then download the book. Is that the only way to do it. We have 5 people in our sharing group. I would appreciate somebody telling me the easiest way to accomplish this.

Thank you.

Allowing a friend or someone else who didn't pay for the ebook to download it for their own use would be a form of piracy and discussion of such matters is not allowed on these forums.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And with the information supplied by scifan, I'll take this opportunity to remind you of the rules.

----- Rule 15
Reminder - Rule 15 Discussion of pirated or cracked applications and any methods associated with enabling their use, such as posting app or repository names, is forbidden on this forum. This also includes discussion of illegally obtaining media such as music, movies, games, books or other copyrighted content. Piracy is illegal and the staff of iPadForums.net neither supports or condones it in any way. Jailbreaking and hacking is not an excuse to steal or pirate software! Discussions, links, and sharing of any piracy related topics, apps, repositories, etc., will be deleted and the member will receive a warning which may lead to a ban. Please review all our forum rules here

You may discuss books all you like, but any methods for sharing copyrighted works are off the table.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks this is PIRACY and theft! We do not permit this type of discussion on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts