What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Share files blocking

milos.v

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there any way to block PDF files sharing from iPad to any another device or cloud? I need to have certain PDFs visible and readable only from my iPad. When I give somebody (for few days) my iPad to read my PDF files, I don't want that person to be able to share those files or connect iPad with iTunes or similar.

I have iPad Air , iOS 8.3

Thanks in advance.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that if you give this person access to your iPad to read those PDF files, there's no way to prevent him from sharing them. The iPad was not designed as a multiple user device with restricted guest access.

While you can block access to your iCloud account, you can't stop him from signing into his own iCloud account through Safari.

OP
M

milos.v

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid that if you give this person access to your iPad to read those PDF files, there's no way to prevent him from sharing them. The iPad was not designed as a multiple user device with restricted guest access.

While you can block access to your iCloud account, you can't stop him from signing into his own iCloud account through Safari.

Is there any iPad app that can support my request? Thanks a lot for reply!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any iPad app that can support my request? Thanks a lot for reply!
An iPad app could not control the iPad in a manner that would satisfy your wishes in regard to ODF viewing. Such control would violate Apple's sand icing rules in regards to how apps are allowed to interact with each other and with the system.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What you need is a PDF reading app that lets you download and read files, but offers no sharing features, or better, one that you can lock individual files or folders so that they can not be shared (as opposed to locking read/edit access which is more usual). It's possible in principle, but I don't know of an app that will do this.

File sharing has become such an integral part of iOS that the developer would almost have to deliberately exclude the feature, or include extra security features. You're unlikely to find an app that does this by accident.

A quick check of my PDF apps shows that none of them meet these requirements. Even iBooks will let you share, via Mail, unprotected PDF files.

Maybe the Kindle app. There are various ways to get PDF files into your Kindle account and the app. As far as I know you can't share those files from the Kindle app. But that's speculation. I don't have any PDFs on my Kindle right now, and don't have the time to experiment right now.

If I were looking for this, I would search for secure PDF readers, pay special attention to secure document apps, and read the descriptions closely. In the more promising cases I'd check out the developer's website, and use whatever support options they offer to ask.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible to email PDF files from the Kindle app, so that's not an option.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, it's kind of a niche product you're looking for.

I looked through my apps some more, and I'm pretty sure I could make HTML Presenter do what you want, but it is not an easy app to set up or use. Basically you'd need to create a simple HTML file that presented your PDF files, zip them, put them on DropBox, and then sync it to the app. It's very fiddly, in my experience, but I was trying to force it to display an HTML based ebook; not what it was designed for.

The result is a local HTML site on the iPad. There is no way to download or export the files from the app itself.

If you've got a bit of HTML skill, and are willing to tinker it might be worth looking at. Otherwise I'd keep looking for something else. Perhaps a Menu style app (like for restaurants). You might find one based on PDF files.

The other possibility is Guided Access. This lets you lock the iPad to a specific app, and you can designate areas of the touch screen that will not respond (like the share icon). Again, not a great solution.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find a good solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts