What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Several countries

Tropicalviking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The following worked fine for me
UK, prepaid Micro sim, carrier = 3, 10 pounds 1 month, 1 GB. You can top it up on next trip
Norway, prepaid Micro sim, 100 NOK (usd 18), Telenor, you get charged 10 NOK for each day you use data. Must show passport to buy.
El Salvador, Prepaid SIM, cut it using cutter purchased @ e bay.
Carrier Tigo and Claro. Note: Using Tigo, you MUST click cancel when you get message asking for cell phone configurations.
Guatemala and Honduras, 99% sure it will work the same as for El Salvador. Will post confirmation once I have tried.
USA, signed up for ATT with USA based visa card, most probably will use Virgin prepaid MiFi in future trips to USA.

Costa Rica, going there next week, if I find a solution I will post it.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A very helpful first post. Thanks :)

Would it be possible for a mod to sticky a thread with information like this in it for travellers?

OP
T

Tropicalviking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'll start posting it in a webpage, any contributions welcome, the link should be up and running here by tomorrow.

chesterhound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tropicalviking:

For travel to Europe, where do you purchase the micro sim? I plan on visiting Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy in the next year. On a recent visit to Germany, a friend picked up a Vodafone micro sim for me but I was wondering if there was a prepaid that would work all over Europe that I could purchase before I leave. Thanks!

chesterhound

OP
T

Tropicalviking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have only been in the UK and Norway since I bought my Ipad.
I purchased the UK 3 Micro SIM at a 3 shop, and the Norwegian Telenor micro SIM at an cel phone shop.
Normally in Europe you can buy prepaid SIMS in many places, in London there are even vending machines at the airport, many of them come with data plans.

DuggerOregon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
davaulttravel.blogspot.com
I bought a micro Sim at a 3rd party mobile phone store on Via Del Tritone in Rome, near the Vodafone store, for €20, used it heavily for 9 days throughout Italy and never ran out of data. It was a Wind Sim, had to show my ID, no other registration was required, took about 6 hours to become active.

Different story trying to activate the Sim in a Vodafone Italy MiFi device I bought to use with 2 iPhones. Had to use a code they sent via SMS to the sim number, but it was not in a cell phone! Had to find someone nice enough to let me use their cell phone to read the SMS. If I would have had a laptop with me I could have connected the device and read the SMS via a utility. Also, the Vodafone Italy site is only in Italian just to complicate matters. Worked fine once I got the issues worked out. Will try this all again in Greece next year.

We travel with 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, it's nice to leave the MacBook Pro at home.

artfem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Costa Rica

Any news on how to use the Ipad in Costa Rica? I will be there for the first two weeks of January 2011. I have the ATT 3G model with wifi. Also, any good maps for the Ipad for Costa Rica? Driving directions? Thnaks,
Art Femenella

mmc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad in the Alps

Doing TMB and will need at some stage to contact family. Any ideas if there is a 'European' micro sim to cover France, Italy, Switzerland? Have heard Tre in Italy is good. Will be in Florence and Milan. Where are they available?

A320 Pilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to India in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have experience and/or recommendations for 3G providers there. And I have never used 3G here in the States nor have I activated it here. Will I have problems there?

Last edited:

Retiredjack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I have been travelling in Europe since last July. The iPad is a awesome device when connected to a 3G network. So i have collected microsims from 3 in UK, Orange in France and TIM in Italy.

Would it be possible for a mod to sticky a thread with information like this in it for travellers? I would gladly share the details if I knew they would not be lost in this obscure posting.

Next we will be wintering in Tunisia and I would like to know how to connect my Canadian iPad to a 3G network there, it surely can't be more complicated than France.

blatzman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know of any know of a 3g carrier for Ipad 2 in puerto plata of the dominican republic.. I am going there feb 2012.. also would need a micro sim card.. any help would be appreciated

Jake

Most reactions

Latest posts