What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separate number keypad for ipad2

Nikkorogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok here goes I hope that someone here understands what I'm trying to say. I've been looking for weeks and no correct response. Hopefully I can find something here. I'm looking for an extended keyboard and for those of you who do not know what that is coming from the old school it is a keyboard that is extended and a numerical keypad is at the end (believe it or not many do not know what this is, which is why there is a explanation). I don't think that I'm going to find one specifically for the ipad2 so now I'm looking for a program or app that I can put on my iphone4 and use it an a number pad along with the ipad2. I went to the app store and they have some but everyone one of them say that it works with Mac computers no mention of iPad so I'm afraid to purchase it and not have it work. I even emailed the three app designers from each app and no response yet. I need to have the numerical pad not on the ipad2 because I have to work on the iPad and the numerical pad simultaneously and switching between screens is frustrating for me personally. I'm a teacher and having a numerical keypad to type in grades is a must otherwise I'm there forever hen pecking them in and when you have over 300 students it gets old quick! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if you could make it in the most basic computer language possible, I don't know how to properly use a forum nor do I know much about computers and their systems so if you start talking about downloading something and going into a special setting and switch or change things I'll be lost unless it is the most basic of explanation. Sorry I'm extremely computer challenged.

I can't thank anyone enough for helping me, you have no idea how much appreciation I have. My school is PC and I want my IPad to wake them up a little bit and see the true potential of them, so any thoughts are great. And remember simple, simple explanations (and no don't worry I do not teach computer science).

Be well,
Nikkorogan

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're not going to like my answer. But here goes. I have a Microsoft 6000 portable bluetooth keyboard (recently renamed the 5000 for no good reason.) It's a great keyboard and it comes with a separate numeric keypad that can be paired with a device separately. Unfortunately, while the keyboard itself pairs easily and the keypad is recognized as a separate bluetooth device by the iPad, it isn't supported. In fact, when I tried to pair the iPad with the numeric keypad the error message indicated the keypad was not supported. Although it's not definitive evidence, this leads me to suspect that no bluetooth keypad is supported by the iPad's bluetooth profile.

You may be able to find a bluetooth keyboard that includes the traditional numeric keypad on the same board that would work but I doubt it. In fact, a numeric keypad addition to Apple Wireless Keyboard from a company called Cropmark specifically notes that it will not work with the iPad. That suggests to me that the problem lies in the bluetooth devices the iPad will support. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

P.S. There are good reasons that schools and other large organizations are "PC." While the iPad is a great consumer device, it has a long, long way to go as a device that has the range of specific functionality so often required in specialized applications.

Edit: Well, it seems Marilyn was more diligent than I was. I'm a bit suspicious about the support for the keypad, itself. Worth checking with the Pentak folks.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered trying to find/purchase/use an external Bluetooth keyboard that comes with a number pad? Then, you'd have the best of both worlds, a physical key board and a number pad - plus have all the space available on your iPad screen (because the keyboard won't show when the physical keyboard is connected).

I don't know of any off the top of my head, but I am sure someone makes a Bluetooth keyboard/number pad combo. Maybe a Google search or a visit to your nearest office store may be in order. At the least, you can buy one, try it out and if it doesn't work - take it back for a refund.

Wait, I just found something with a Google search (terms were "ipad bluetooth keyboard with number pad"): Foldable Portable Wireless Bluetooth iPad Keyboard. I don't know anything about it, this was just a random hit from Google. But, the web site does say their keyboard is Bluetooth & compatible with the iPad. So, there's that. I'm sure there are more...

Good luck on your quest.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I tried to pair one of my older bluetooth Apple Keyboards; white and clear plastic with a numeric keypad. The iPad saw it, but said it was unsupported when I tried to pair. So don't go looking for older Apple keyboards to solve the problem.

I can't find a newer model that has the numeric pad, only the add on pad mentioned by jsh.

OP
N

Nikkorogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone for helping me. I'm going to look into the fentek and see if it works. I googled like crazy and that never came up with that so you must have the magic touch. But thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you I'll let you know what I find out. And if the two lovely gentleman can read this too, thanks as well because you gave me areas of where not to look! I do appreciate all of your time in helping me.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone for helping me. I'm going to look into the fentek and see if it works. I googled like crazy and that never came up with that so you must have the magic touch. But thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you I'll let you know what I find out. And if the two lovely gentleman can read this too, thanks as well because you gave me areas of where not to look! I do appreciate all of your time in helping me.

Hope you'll let us know what you find out from the site Marilyn suggested above. You're not alone in wanting a numeric keypad that works with the iPad.

Most reactions