What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sending text to a cell phone from ipad not an email ? App for that?

OP
P

Philia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried textfree then saw that there is a charge to the users phone if they text you back to iPad. Not so text free.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Philia said:
I tried textfree then saw that there is a charge to the users phone if they text you back to iPad. Not so text free.

"Textfree doesn't have the ability to charge you anything without your permission. The only things that you can purchase from Textfree are in-app purchases, which require your iTunes password to be charged. We have absolutely no way of charging anything to your phone carrier's bill. Remember, however, that if you are using an iPhone,Textfree uses your data connection to work. You may still be charged for data use, depending on what your specific plan."

If the person your texting has unlimited text which I believe is 10$ bucks through verizon your strait, it would only be your carrier charging u for text if you don't. So it's the carrier charging not text free app

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use GV Mobile +

So far, I've sent texts to basic Tracfones, Droids and iPhones. They get charged for the text, but I've not (on wifi). It works on both wifi and 3G (assuming you've got a carrier deal).

Marilyn

OP
P

Philia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh just saw more replies......this is true.....with textfree if the person you are texting to from your iPad has unlimited texting (and who doesn't ) when they reply no one gets charged!!!

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh just saw more replies......this is true.....with textfree if the person you are texting to from your iPad has unlimited texting (and who doesn't ) when they reply no one gets charged!!!

Exactly, i doubt youll ever get texts back from people if they know there getting charged! haha

OP
P

Philia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the thing I'm so glad you told me about TextFree for......You don't need a carrier to communicate ! Iwas with friends using dada phones before I got my iPad. They were pirating wifi walking down the street! They told me they wished they hadn't signed contracts because all they do is text and don't need all the phone services. I have not needed to pirate wifi myself.....does anyone do it for iPad?

OP
P

Philia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also......had to take a MacBook pro to MacDoctor today. I did get a 3G enabled iPad but waited to choose a carrier....he reiterated that I didn't need one telling me what I had seen friends do was the way to get around it.Anyone have any ideas about this?

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can hack your phone to turn it into a wifi hotspot then you would not need the AT&T carrier on your ipad.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yup, i have a droix x through verizon, its rooted and i have a wifi only ipad, so when im not home and ipad isnt on wireless network at home i use wireless tether app from my droid to get the wifi signal to ipad! tada

but thats whith having a cell carrier and not a carrier for the ipad so that might not help ya

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts