What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sending SMS to non Apple phones

B

Berkshireferret

Hi,
I have an iPad3 (8.1.3) and iPhone 4S (8.1.3)
Up until recently I could send and receive SMS and iMessages via my phone or iPad.
I had ocassion to turn off iMessages on my phone recently and now, despite turning them back on, I no longer can receive messages sent to or from non-apple devices on my iPad. IPhone is fine.
I have seen on another website the option to 'send as sms if iMessage not available' (I paraphrase) but this is not there on the iPad and is 'on' on the iPhone.
Can anyone offer any advice to get this working again. I have searched the forum and found one thread allied to this but it did not really solve my issue.
Cheers

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Messages on your iPad, look at Send & Receive. Below "You can be reached by iMessage at" you should see your telephone number, and it should be checkmarked.

dorsetferret

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@JA
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have my phone number and email addresses ticked inthe dialogue you are talking about but sending to non apple still fails
Does any other reason for this occur to you or is there any way you know of to interrogate the ipad (log file?) to find out what it is unhappy with.
Cheers
A

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's something else you should check:

On your iPhone, go to Settings - Messages - Text Message Forwarding, and make sure your iPad is enabled there.

dorsetferret

iPF Noob
Reaction score

On your iPhone, go to Settings - Messages - Text Message Forwarding, and make sure your iPad is enabled there.

(Solved)
Many thanks J.A - all is now fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts