What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selling/transferring your i-ecosystem ID, email & App purchases?

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm thinking of moving over to Android. I might sound petty bit I've been using an iPad for almost two years and although I love it I just hate some things about it. I hate that I have to do stuff on my pc 'then' put it on my iPad such as arranging photos in albums etc. I hate adding videos to my iPad through iTunes when I want to just plug it into my PC and drag and drop them. There are just lots of annoyances like that for me.

Anyway. I'm thinking of selling my iPad 2 and getting an Android tablet. I was wondering, if I'm leaving iOS then will I also be able to sell my Apple email/ID and App purchases too. Or at lease add them as a bundle so whoever buys my iPad will get more value?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have never heard of that, but I'm not sure why you can't do it. You can certain change payment method. But I'm not sure you can change the name on the account. If you can, then have at it.

There are lots of apps that free you from iTunes. I hardly ever use it. I use both android and iOS and have three android tablets and two iOS tablets.

OP
P

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I want to be able to move photos around in different folders and also delete any photo from any folder. I can't do that in iOS. I also want to just plug my iPad into my computer and drag a drop a movie file or song file and there it is in a folder ready to play and delete on the ipad.I have to do it by first loading iTunes then browsing to it etc. I end up just not doing it for all the hassle. I want to have folders in folders so I don't have hundreds of photo folders. I also want to have my photos arranged in the order that I decide (alphabetically) and not the way Apple decide is best.

I'm drawn to the Galaxy note 10.1 but it seems a bit sluggish, has a lower res screen and no sd slot. I love the S pen though. I'm hoping the note 10.1 2 will be better.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm thinking of moving over to Android. I might sound petty bit I've been using an iPad for almost two years and although I love it I just hate some things about it. I hate that I have to do stuff on my pc 'then' put it on my iPad such as arranging photos in albums etc. I hate adding videos to my iPad through iTunes when I want to just plug it into my PC and drag and drop them. There are just lots of annoyances like that for me.

Anyway. I'm thinking of selling my iPad 2 and getting an Android tablet. I was wondering, if I'm leaving iOS then will I also be able to sell my Apple email/ID and App purchases too. Or at lease add them as a bundle so whoever buys my iPad will get more value?

[Moderator edit: Removed reference to using apps not purchased by member. Even if a seller of an iPad gives you the password for an app on an iPad you purchase - it's still against Apple's EULA to have those apps. The seller has no legal right to do this and s/he is committing piracy]

Last edited by a moderator:

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
It's against the iTunes store terms and conditions to transfer ownership of your iTunes account. Not that this will stop people. Just pointing it out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's against the iTunes store terms and conditions to transfer ownership of your iTunes account. Not that this will stop people. Just pointing it out.

That is good to know, as I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Update after further digging, it's apps that are non transferable. Apparently there's no conditions that forbid music transfer. This was due to the introduction of iTunes plus in 2009 where all copy and device restrictions for music was removed.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
although we use the term giving voluntarily instead of transfer ownership just like playing world of warcraft with friend account ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update after further digging, it's apps that are non transferable. Apparently there's no conditions that forbid music transfer. This was due to the introduction of iTunes plus in 2009 where all copy and device restrictions for music was removed.

So, can one transfer an apple ID?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Apps are tied to an account and apps aren't transferable so the account isn't. Music isn't tied to an account.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apps are tied to an account and apps aren't transferable so the account isn't. Music isn't tied to an account.

So Apple has this statement as Policy some place?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Apple doesn't let you do any transfers. See this (bolding is mine):

LICENSED APPLICATION END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
http://www.apple.com/legal/macapps/stdeula/

a. Scope of License: This license granted to you for the Licensed Application by Licensor is limited to a nontransferable license to use the Licensed Application on any Apple-branded products running iOS (including but not limited to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch) or Mac OS X, as applicable (collectively, “Apple Device(s)â€) that you own or control and as permitted by the usage rules set forth in the Mac App Store, App Store and iBookstore Terms and Conditions (the “Usage Rulesâ€). This license does not allow you to use the Licensed Application on any Apple Device that you do not own or control, and you may not distribute or make the Licensed Application available over a network in violation of the Usage Rules. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute, or sublicense the Licensed Application. You may not copy (except as expressly permitted by this license and the Usage Rules), decompile, reverse-engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works of the Licensed Application, any updates, or any part thereof (except as and only to the extent that any foregoing restriction is prohibited by applicable law or to the extent as may be permitted by the licensing terms governing use of any open-sourced components included with the Licensed Application). Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of the Licensor and its licensors. If you breach this restriction, you may be subject to prosecution and damages.

There is another proviso (that I cannot find at this moment) that talks about being able to share apps among immediate family members. Still looking for that one...

So, again, no, you may not legally transfer your Apple ID and applications to another.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts