What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen rotation now screwed up.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For some strange reason, my IPad's (gen1) screen rotation is frozen in the horizontal position. Nothing I can do will afford it's vertical viewing position to me, now. I don't know what's caused it, but it just happened a few minutes ago. I've made certain that nothing had been, inadvertently, changed in the 'General Settings' area (where screen position locking could be held by the sliding switch button, on the side of the unit). Absolutely nothing has been done any differently than before.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a full turn off and restart.
My iPad2 did exactly the same thing this morning and a restart fixed it.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried a full turn off and restart.
My iPad2 did exactly the same thing this morning and a restart fixed it.

I did a 'Hard' shutdown (holding the power button over, for a few seconds) if that's what you are referring to. I know that there is a 'Reset' procedure, but I don't presently remember what those steps are. I will have to search for those. Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To do a reboot - press and hold the Power and Home buttons for about 6-9 seconds, until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot - takes a while..

Tim

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To do a reboot - press and hold the Power and Home buttons for about 6-9 seconds, until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot - takes a while..

Tim

Thanks, Tim. Now I remember, being that you called it. I just went through that procedure - twice, but all to no avail. Seems that a trip to the Apple store is now warranted.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - one last thing....just in case...probably not but....

just double press the Home button to open the multi-task bar and flick the screen to the right. Check that the orientation lock is not controlled by the 'soft' button at the far bottom left of the screen. It's possible that the function has been swapped there from the hard switch next to the volume control. Probably not...but worth a try....

Tim

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK - one last thing....just in case...probably not but....

just double press the Home button to open the multi-task bar and flick the screen to the right. Check that the orientation lock is not controlled by the 'soft' button at the far bottom left of the screen. It's possible that the function has been swapped there from the hard switch next to the volume control. Probably not...but worth a try....

Tim

Hey Tim, you thought not - but you were spot-on with that suggestion. It's been more than a few times that I have ventured into that area, to shut down running apps, but I had NEVER seen that 'Soft Reset' button before. At least I know, now, what to check - providing this same thing happens again.

You saved me a trip tot he Apple Store, and I appreciate you. Many thanks.

k11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey can anybody help me, my screen is woudnt rotate, I have tried everything, from restarr, reset,

k11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried everything besides hitting this iPad...can anybody help. Me with with the solution?

Most reactions

Latest posts