What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Protector

gobbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been considering a tempered glass screen protector but am not entirely sure if it would be better instead to get the anti glare or regular one. I also have an ipad 4 which I use for movies and web surfing but the glare irritates me even with the lights off. I wouldn't be using the mini for movies, just surfing the web and for travel purposes. Which one would suit my needs best?

Also if you could please list the brand of the protector which is best. Price is not a concern just want the best product with no bubbles and no worries about it months down the line.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Gobbles - you might want to first tell us why you feel a 'screen protector' is necessary? There have been multiple threads on this topic so a search would provide plenty of discussion, e.g. take a look HERE.

For myself, I've had an iPad 2 for 3 years & wife a Mini for over a year - we use smart covers but no screen protectors - the glass on my iPad 2 is pristine, so obviously I don't feel the need to use one - now, this can be a controversial question and plenty of people would choose to use a screen protector (obviously there are numerous commercial products being offered, too) - SO, kind of comes down to opinions and personal preferences. Dave :)

OP
G

gobbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gobbles - you might want to first tell us why you feel a 'screen protector' is necessary? There have been multiple threads on this topic so a search would provide plenty of discussion, e.g. take a look HERE.

For myself, I've had an iPad 2 for 3 years & wife a Mini for over a year - we use smart covers but no screen protectors - the glass on my iPad 2 is pristine, so obviously I don't feel the need to use one - now, this can be a controversial question and plenty of people would choose to use a screen protector (obviously there are numerous commercial products being offered, too) - SO, kind of comes down to opinions and personal preferences. Dave :)

Thanks for the thread. I checked it out but I am sure I need one for at least the mini as I mentioned I do a lot of traveling and it would be exposed to the elements of nature. Plus on vacation I could take it to the beach thus exposing it to sand. I just want to ensure it has maximum protection and that I did all I could do to prevent any damage. Thus bringing me to my question of which glass would be great to put on it? Do you have any experience on which brand is best? I plan on going to a store to have them place it on so I don't mess it up.

As for my ipad 4, I can't stand the glare I always get while watching movies, no matter what position I place it or nor the time of day. I understand that an anti glare would diminish the viewing quality but is it so much that it isn't worth it? I'm willing to compromise a slight distortion in quality if it will eliminate glare but not at the expense of completely distorting the quality so I would no longer be able to enjoy using it. Any thoughts are welcome.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread. I checked it out but I am sure I need one for at least the mini as I mentioned I do a lot of traveling and it would be exposed to the elements of nature. Plus on vacation I could take it to the beach thus exposing it to sand. I just want to ensure it has maximum protection and that I did all I could do to prevent any damage. Thus bringing me to my question of which glass would be great to put on it? Do you have any experience on which brand is best? I plan on going to a store to have them place it on so I don't mess it up.

As for my ipad 4, I can't stand the glare I always get while watching movies, no matter what position I place it or nor the time of day. I understand that an anti glare would diminish the viewing quality but is it so much that it isn't worth it? I'm willing to compromise a slight distortion in quality if it will eliminate glare but not at the expense of completely distorting the quality so I would no longer be able to enjoy using it. Any thoughts are welcome.

Hi again - great questions but since I've not really used any of these screen 'protectors' or 'anti-glare' covers, I cannot give you any experienced advice - sorry - :(

Now, I don't know if you've tried to read the iPad in the sun but the experience is miserable, the back-lit screen technology is just not suitable for that purpose (a device like the Kindle works much better) - anti-glare screens and/or polarized glasses might help (but just from my readings).

If possible, you might want to visit an Apple store and just see what is available there and whether recommendations can be made; and hopefully, other members who have used these products will 'chime in' - Dave :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to transfer you thread to our Help Section, just so more members will view your thread and hopefully those who do use a Screen protector will be able to assist you.

alexander2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been considering a tempered glass screen protector but am not entirely sure if it would be better instead to get the anti glare or regular one. I also have an ipad 4 which I use for movies and web surfing but the glare irritates me even with the lights off. I wouldn't be using the mini for movies, just surfing the web and for travel purposes. Which one would suit my needs best?

Also if you could please list the brand of the protector which is best. Price is not a concern just want the best product with no bubbles and no worries about it months down the line.

The brand that you're looking for is Gearmaxx. The installation is really easy and there are no bubbles involved. lasts really long too :) I have been using their screen protectors on my phone, ipods and cameras for a while now and all of those screens are in perfect condition in spite of me traveling a lot. you should definitely give it a look.
http://stores.ebay.com/GEARMAXX/APP...9781010&_sid=1019539910&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Most reactions

Latest posts