What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen on while charging?

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a config option or setting anywhere that would let the screen stay on while it's charging? Or an app?

I have the iPad 2! It's NOT JB.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the Settings app, under the General tab, there's a line on the right side titled "Auto-lock."

If you press it, you will be offered different times for which the iPad will wait to turn off the screen, one of which is never. Selecting Never will ensure your s teen does not shut off.

One piece of advice, though. Don't keep it set to Never all the time so you can save battery life...

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
Yarrenbool

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the Settings app, under the General tab, there's a line on the right side titled "Auto-lock."

If you press it, you will be offered different times for which the iPad will wait to turn off the screen, one of which is never. Selecting Never will ensure your s teen does not shut off.

One piece of advice, though. Don't keep it set to Never all the time so you can save battery life...

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was aware of the Auto-lock settings, but I was looking for an additional setting that controls what it will do while charging. I've seen this offered on other PDAs, laptops, and net books I've owned and used in the past. I'm looking for someway, without JB, to do this on my iPad.

I'm guessing from your reply that I'm going to be out of luck with this.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There should be no difference with what Marilyn told you regardless of whether you are charging or not. If there is, let us know the symptoms and we'll do our best to help.

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Yarrenbool

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There should be no difference with what Marilyn told you regardless of whether you are charging or not. If there is, let us know the symptoms and we'll do our best to help.

The Archangel

But that's kind of the point, I want there to be a difference whether I'm charging or not.

I definitely want to have an auto-screen-off when it's running off the battery, but I do NOT want an auto-screen-off when it's plugged in and charging. That way when I pop it into a stand beside my bed at night I can have a clock/alarm app running, set fairly dim that I can see during the night.

All my previous PDAs, both Palms and HP iPAQs, had this "while plugged in" setting. Also all Windows laptops and net books have different screen options available depending on whether they're running off power or battery. If the iOS iDevices don't have this option it's a multi-year backwards step, albeit a small backwards step.

Most reactions

Latest posts