What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving images from a web browser

andr01dm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. :)

I purchased an iPad 3 yesterday and have been messing around with it a bit to see if it's something I can get a reasonable amount of use from. I've encountered a big deal-breaker problem that I hope there is a solution for.. but after a fair bit of web searching I've found almost nothing about it.

One of the things I enjoy doing is browsing art posting websites such as Flikr and DeviantArt. So I tried that out on my iPad and it worked beautifully, letting me clearly see the pages - unlike when I've attempted this on my wee Android Nexus One. Tap-hold and "Save" to save the images worked just fine. But when I connected my iPad to my PC to download the photos, I found it had renamed them into sequential order like "IMG_007.JPG", "IMG_008.PNG", etc. and had also mixed them in with the photos I had taken with the iPad's camera.

It had this behaviour with both Safari and with Chrome, and I don't see any settings in either app or in iOS Settings that cover saving images.

So really I have two questions about this: Can I get the iPad to save the photos with the file name that they have on the website? Can I set up different folders to have the iPad save photos and saved images into?

Thank you.

-[a]-

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no, there is no way for the iPad to save pictures with a file name. There is a way to create folders, but it's a rather clunky process (only creates links and you still don't get names).

A lot of people have switched to third party photo management tools for that reason (the Photos app is very rudimentary). I am sure there are many apps out there and hopefully, someone will come along to recommend their favorites.

I like and use iFiles ($4.99) to manage my photos (it does more - but it makes a great photo management tool!). Others have had success with PhotoManager and PhotoSort.

Again, hopefully someone else will chip in with their recommendations. Sorry that the Apple app isn't that helpful - but, what can we do? :)

Marilyn

OP
A

andr01dm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like and use iFiles ($4.99) to manage my photos (it does more - but it makes a great photo management tool!).

Thank you for the suggestions. :) I've been giving iFiles a try and it seems to lack an important feature; being able to save images from a web page. In Chrome & Safari you can press on an image and get a 'save' popup. This doesn't work in the browser that's included with iFiles.

A friend suggested an app called "iDownloads Plus" which I've also been trying, it's very similar to iFiles and it's browser does include the ability to save images from a web page. It might be the tool I require. Kind of stupid of Apple to not include such a basic feature in the stock applications though. -.-

-[a]-

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. :) I've been giving iFiles a try and it seems to lack an important feature; being able to save images from a web page. In Chrome & Safari you can press on an image and get a 'save' popup. This doesn't work in the browser that's included with iFiles.

-[a]-

Ah, good point. I normally import the photos into iFiles from the Photos app. Never even knew iFiles had a browser. :)

Glad you've got a better working solution.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts