What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Sat Nav

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have 64gb 4g sat nav and a Brodit in car holder for my pride and joy .. Question is what is the best sat nav out there I use co pilot on my android phone but wonder is there any other alternative

A lot of the sat navs payable so I don't wanna fork out a fortune if it's rubbish

Can you fab forum users help me

Thanks

Evo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I use Co-Pilot Live. Full featured, speed camera alerts, live traffic situation updates, it's really good and I have been using it for a long time now with no problems.

OP
M

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evo said:
Hi. I use Co-Pilot Live. Full featured, speed camera alerts, live traffic situation updates, it's really good and I have been using it for a long time now with no problems.

Can you confirm if that's the new version or the version 8 ?

Has anyone used the Tom Tom one, Bosch or Igo ?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Navigon.

IMG_0459.jpg

OP
M

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

Like your holder I have Brodit which sits in front of me . Navigon is a tad expensive at £60 for uk but will consider thank you ;)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Navigon, GPS Drive, and TomTom navigation systems. I prefer TomTom, but none of them are perfect. It is a pity they do not actually talk to people when setting up these systems

OP
M

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I have Navigon, GPS Drive, and TomTom navigation systems. I prefer TomTom, but none of them are perfect. It is a pity they do not actually talk to people when setting up these systems

Quite Agree as they are so expensive and there is no trial on apple unlike .. Cough android

jbcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just purchased the IPAD3 and slowly updating and testing apps transferred from my IPAD1. I was one of the earliest users of CoPilot Live and have travelled US Mainland and Hawaii using it. We absolutely love it now after several uploads of missing nav data destinations (especially in the NW USA). Glad to report that they have done a great job updating destinations and roadways in the US and I encourage everyone to send the nav feedback when you find a map "booboo". When I re-registered my CoPilot Live account on my new IPAD3...it immediately uploaded Ver 9.1 and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately it did not transfer my old destination saves....but it is refreshing to reorganize my saves by starting over.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Motion-X GPS Drive.. I think it's great. You pay once for it.. (.99 cents).. They make their money with the live voice guidance. You have to pay $9.99 a year to keep it active. If you don't need live voice guidance, then you pay nothing. You need a 3g/4g connection to run it because it downloads the maps real time from the network as you drive. If you know you're going to be in an area with no cellular connectivity, you can download and store up to 2GB of map data. (That's good enough for a 1000 mile trip from North Dakota to Ohio).

I've got a little 2012 Hyundai Accent and an iPad I with the OEM cover. The Accent glove compartment latches on the sides. Because of that there is no latch in the middle of the door.. This lets me fold the iPad cover back and then close the glove compartment door on it. This holds the iPad nicely. The car has an iPod input for the stereo. This lets me listen to my iPad music and hear the navigation instructions on the car radio.

Attachments

• hyun-ipad.jpg
    hyun-ipad.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 591

jimmy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might be the wrong place to ask but can you use a wifi only iPad as a satnav with an app?

 Sent from my iPad 32gb (3rd generation) using iPF  Add me on dragonvale please! GC - james_oc_24 ⚡

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The WiFi only iPad doesn't have a built in GPS receiver... However, you can add an external unit. Here is one bluetooth model that supposedly works with the iPad --> GPS BT: GNS - Global Navigation Systems It's been discussed on this forum.

You will only be able to use the GPS apps that load the map set on your unit (Like Navigon).. Many of them download the maps real time as you drive. (Like GPS Drive).

jmbarker58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tom Tom uses inferior map sourcing called TeleAtlas or TeleNav or something. Navigon (and Garmin) use NAVTEQ the leader is mapping. Navigon is also a German company which alone makes it the best.

Most reactions

Latest posts