What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari history times

Gcarington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what safari considers morning, afternoon and evening to stay as far as when a webpage is visited?

For example, if I visit a website at 12am it is considered "this morning" in history. When does afternoon and evening start?
Thanks

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Gcarington, welcome to the forum! And what a great intro, a post to make one think;).
Noon I suppose is "meridian" the "m" in am and pm. But after noon and evening it gets a bit hairier (erm, less scientific) from what I could see.
A bit of googling and comparison of the answers got me this which I thought was representative:

"Evening is defined as the later part of the day in between afternoon and nighttime. It is generally not light out when evening starts, but the day will gradually fade into darkness as evening carries on.

In the Southern part of the United States, evening is generally used to define the time between when the last meal of the day is eaten and when a person goes to bed. Evening can also be defined as the period of time between sunset and when a person lays down for the night.

The word evening comes from a Middle English word that literally means the day turning into night. It was used before the 12th century and was used to describe any time of the day when the person using it believed that it was turning to darkness. The word also has origins in the Greek language from the word 'epi.' 'Aband' is a German word that means the afternoon turning into night; 'evening' could have possibly come from that word."

Again, great to have you on board and I'm looking forward to your future posts following your interesting start here:)
Regards,
Andrew

OP
G

Gcarington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! :) I was more asking about within safari specifically. How it stores the browsing history using times such as This Morning, Afternoon, Evening when you view history in safari from an iPad. I'm curious as to what the windows of times are used to differentiate between morning, afternoon, evening, when you are viewing a website. Since safari doesn't have time stamps for website history I'd like to know when these times start within the system itself it that makes sense?

For example, if I visit a website at 5pm, is this considered afternoon or evening when I look for it in my history?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting question. I don't know the answer, and didn't find anything with a quick search.

I'm reasonably certain the demarcation for morning to afternoon is 12pm. Other than that I'd guess (for no reason other than a pleasing symetry), that afternoon to evening would be as 6pm, evening to night would be 12am, and night to morning 6am. Another words, the day would be devided into equal quarters.

Anything else would require an arbitrary choice of cultural norms, where even those are kind of arbitrary; or some kind of complex system that actually knows and records seasonal variations in sunrise/sunset at your location; which seems a bit overboard.

Or something I haven't thought of, which is more than possible.

Most reactions

Latest posts