What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Hijacked

Fred Stambaugh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some help - I was surfing on Safari when a popup appears demanding payment for a supposed legal infraction. It's clearly malware of some sort, but I can't close it and return to normal usage. If I click "OK" (the only option) I get a second popup looking for the payment, and it goes into a loop between popups. This renders Safari useless. I've tried to close Safari by swiping up from the bottom row after I double-click the main button, but when I reopen it's still there. I've turned off my iPad altogether and when I turned back on it's still there. I know I can't uninstall core apps, so what can I do? Do I have to go to complete restore to factory settings?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I need some help - I was surfing on Safari when a popup appears demanding payment for a supposed legal infraction. It's clearly malware of some sort, but I can't close it and return to normal usage. If I click "OK" (the only option) I get a second popup looking for the payment, and it goes into a loop between popups. This renders Safari useless. I've tried to close Safari by swiping up from the bottom row after I double-click the main button, but when I reopen it's still there. I've turned off my iPad altogether and when I turned back on it's still there. I know I can't uninstall core apps, so what can I do? Do I have to go to complete restore to factory settings?

Hi Fred.... - as you have done, 'Force Close' Safari, then DISCONNECT from your internet connection (i.e. turn off Wi-Fi on the iPad); open Safari and try to delete the offending tab(s) - usually works for me - reconnect to the internet to determine if the problem is solved - if not, post back here. You could also open Safari in 'Settings' and clear your history and website data.

Safari is a native iOS app and cannot be deleted by itself; however, you can obtain another web browser(s) from the App Store (I have 'Atomic Web' & 'Puffin' on my device) and if you plan to browse potentially nefarious websites, then use an alternate browser - the same maneuver as described above usually works, but the other option is that the browser CAN be deleted and then re-downloaded. Dave :)

OP
F

Fred Stambaugh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Fred.... - as you have done, 'Force Close' Safari, then DISCONNECT from your internet connection (i.e. turn off Wi-Fi on the iPad); open Safari and try to delete the offending tab(s) - usually works for me - reconnect to the internet to determine if the problem is solved - if not, post back here. You could also open Safari in 'Settings' and clear your history and website data.

Safari is a native iOS app and cannot be deleted by itself; however, you can obtain another web browser(s) from the App Store (I have 'Atomic Web' & 'Puffin' on my device) and if you plan to browse potentially nefarious websites, then use an alternate browser - the same maneuver as described above usually works, but the other option is that the browser CAN be deleted and then re-downloaded. Dave :)

Dave - your first suggestion was not successful. Then I tried a reboot - turn off iPad then hold the start and home buttons until the Apple logo appears - and that didn't do it either. Finally, though, I cleared out history and website data and that seems to have done the trick.
Thanks so much for the rescue!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave - your first suggestion was not successful. Then I tried a reboot - turn off iPad then hold the start and home buttons until the Apple logo appears - and that didn't do it either. Finally, though, I cleared out history and website data and that seems to have done the trick.
Thanks so much for the rescue!

Great Fred - glad that one of the suggestions offered helped - usually that first one works. Dave :)

Most reactions