What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Broken; How to "Recycle" It?

bob12603

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari is broken on my iPad (iOS 9.1). It's unable to access the Internet. When it's trying to get web data the progress bar starts to move to the right but then stops after about 1/2 inch. Chrome has no problem. I have many pages open, so I imagine that might be the problem.

In any event, I think that the first thing I should try is to simply totally stop Safari and then restart it. (Hopefully with Safari still remembering all of the currently open pages.) But I have no idea how to do that.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,. Bob

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Safari is broken on my iPad (iOS 9.1). It's unable to access the Internet. When it's trying to get web data the progress bar starts to move to the right but then stops after about 1/2 inch. Chrome has no problem. I have many pages open, so I imagine that might be the problem.

In any event, I think that the first thing I should try is to simply totally stop Safari and then restart it. (Hopefully with Safari still remembering all of the currently open pages.) But I have no idea how to do that.

Hi Bob - just for starters, you can force close Safari using the directions below - you may want to also go to Settings -> Safari - there 'Clear History and Website Data'. If those maneuvers, do not help, then 'Reset' the iPad (also quoted below) - let us know your results. Note that Safari is part of iOS so the app cannot be deleted by itself. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 8.x/9.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
B

bob12603

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much giradman! Having never seen the multitasking screen before I decided to pass on that and try #2. Which I think I had already tried but wasn't certain. In any event, #2 took care of the problem.

So thanks very much. I appreciate your help.

Bob

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Great Bob! But do take a look @ the multitasking screen, i.e. simple to bring up and often will solve a misbehaving app w/o having to do a Reset - also keep the other suggestion in mind about your browser data & history - good luck. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts