What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safar/Google question

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This may sound silly, but here goes...

When using laptop, I choose to use for browsing, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc, and I assume, whichever one I use, I can make Google my homepage, as I presently do with IE.

When On iPad, I opened Internet, opened Google, and saved My Googlepage to my homescreen, so when I want to surf, I tap my Google icon (which I named) to surf the net.

This means, I never use my Safari icon, and that's no problem for me, but I am puzzled.

My question is, am I right in thinking, that I only have ONE browser on my iPad, like everyone, and that is Sarfari, and if so, all I had to do from the start, was open Safari, and make Google my homepage when I open Safari.

Hope I have made this clear enough.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This may sound silly, but here goes...

When using laptop, I choose to use for browsing, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc, and I assume, whichever one I use, I can make Google my homepage, as I presently do with IE.

When On iPad, I opened Internet, opened Google, and saved My Googlepage to my homescreen, so when I want to surf, I tap my Google icon (which I named) to surf the net.

This means, I never use my Safari icon, and that's no problem for me, but I am puzzled.

My question is, am I right in thinking, that I only have ONE browser on my iPad, like everyone, and that is Sarfari, and if so, all I had to do from the start, was open Safari, and make Google my homepage when I open Safari.

Yes Safari is the embedded iPad browser. But you can download the free Google Chrome and other search Apps in the Apple store and place them on the home screen to use. You will not be searching Google via the Safari icon, only if you specifically use Google
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
.... [snip] .....

Yes, you have only one browser installed on the iPad by default and that is Safari. You can load others, but Safari is the one the iPad comes with.

However, there is no way to set a homepage so that, when you press the Safari icon specifically, that homepage loads when Safari does (as it does for other computer browsers).

So, what you did - make Google a bookmark on your home screen - is the only thing you can do to come close to making a homepage in the iPad's version of Safari. That way, as you've discovered, if you press that Google bookmark, Safari will open with Google loaded.

it's a fine distinction, but you came across the only solution to making a home page for Safari.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
frenchman96

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you both, I so understand now, this means really that as I want to have the Google homepage to open each time I go on net, it will only do so, by using my Google icon.

So this means my Safari icon won't be used, but Safari itself will be, as I am using it whenever I open Google, correct?

Most reactions

Latest posts