What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saddleback Leather Case

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I love leather! The same applies to leather saddles, bridles, you get what you pay for!

That's not always true and what I've been trying to warn people about: because there are so many grades of leather, and many synthetic or mid-grade leathers are indistinguishable from a top-quality leather to most people, unscrupulous vendors can and do get away with false or misleading advertising about their leather products, and more importantly, the exorbitant prices they charge for inferior materials/workmanship.

It's a bit like saying that both grain-fed wagyu beef and supermarket homebrand dog food are both made, technically speaking, from 'genuine cow', but they inhabit totally opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of quality, if not edibility. The point to remember is: an expensive leather product is not always the best quality materials - but the best quality products are rarely if ever cheap.

Good post!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Fair point! The best thing about horse gear is, you can actually see the difference but when online sometimes it looks better than it really is!

I realized a long time ago that if you can afford to buy quality from the start, you actually end up spending less over the long haul, and have fewer problems using/owning the item. It may cost a lot more up front and require saving up, but a good product which lasts repays for itself when amortized over how long you end up using it - and this is especially true of good leather, which can last a lifetime.

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
I realized a long time ago that if you can afford to buy quality from the start, you actually end up spending less over the long haul, and have fewer problems using/owning the item.
There is a saying here like "I cant afford to buy cheap stuff".

I usually go by that saying but that it for stuff I keep many years, even want to keep a lifetime.

I would buy the saddleback case right now, but it has no typing position :(

Then the Vaja Libretto with leather on both sides would probably be my next choice - yeah I would pay the $200 happily if I get the best leather and best functionality and would use it for many, many years...

...but wait, the iPad 3 is around the corner (thinking in lifetime spans) and most cases will probably get useless - the saddleback as soon as they increase the screen size just a little, the Vaja as soon as they just make small changes to form factor.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good point, the life span of these cases are governed by the lifetime of each version so I would agree with above, a cheaper leather would do for me and my iPad 1 ( my saddle and bridle is for life of horse therefore +- 20 years life.)

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point, the life span of these cases are governed by the lifetime of each version so I would agree with above, a cheaper leather would do for me and my iPad 1 ( my saddle and bridle is for life of horse therefore +- 20 years life.)

Believe me, I thought long and hard about the cost as well as the lifespan of the iPad, when I was looking at Oberon Design's iPad leather folios:

5920.jpg

Their style and approach is completely different from Saddleback, but both companies share a common devotion to making quality leather products. In the end I ordered the Oberon, and in its quality, durability and unique design, the expense has been more than acquitted (esp in a business meeting alongside other black-grey, oh-so-boring business-styled iPad cases - it's the coolest cover in the room, for sure.)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a saying here like "I cant afford to buy cheap stuff". I usually go by that saying but that it for stuff I keep many years, even want to keep a lifetime.

To be fair, there is usually something in each price range for every user, from the dirt-cheap Chinese-made polyurethane-synthetic 'leather' covers on Fleabay to the full-grain leather, handmade-to-order-by-US-based-craftsmen costing hundreds of dollars - and of course, users should budget and spend according to their means.

For me, newer models making accessories unuseable is a non-issue, as I am by habit a slow adopter, i.e. I'll probably be using my original iPad until it stops working. If I do upgrade and sell or give the older device to someone else, its accessories would most likely follow along, so their value transfers to the new owner.

For users who like to adopt the newest and latest, it is a valid consideration about not overspending on short-term accessories. But my approach to both devices and their accessories are, you could say, using them for the long haul, so I can indulge in the occasional pricey quality item.

Last edited:

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$104 isn't bad for some nice quality leather... even if you only use it for a few years... till you upgrade to the latest version of the iPad.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hotherps said:
$104 isn't bad for some nice quality leather... even if you only use it for a few years... till you upgrade to the latest version of the iPad.

Depending on the quality, you can always resell the accessory, or include it with the device when you resell it. Given the takeup of both iPads 1 & 2, there is no shortage of users even when the next generation of device comes out.

jojaanbutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a red leather case, dull of about 100 pairs of different sized knitting needles that are all in awesome condition. How much would this be worth

Most reactions