What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rundown on Leather Cases for iPad

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting on the FAQ page they say it will work with the Apple cover. I will let you know. Otherwise I am sure I can find a way to add the neo magnets to it.

It will work with the smartcover: on Oberon's FB page, you can see fan pictures of the iPad2 with the smartcover sitting in an Oberon case. Looked a bit of an overkill to me, though (having a cover within a cover). However, the Oberon case for iPad2 by itself will not have magnetic activation, unlike other cases from Treegloo, Portenzo, etc, which do.

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 1 so no problem for me with the lack of back camera port. I too was a little worried about the folding part after seeing the video, but mine folds just fine. I use it in that mode all the time with no problems.

Here's a few quick customizations you might want to consider:

1. Many Oberon owners attach the charm to the bungee cord, which makes it easier to open and close the cord around the pewter button.

2. You can remove the inserts from the inside pockets to reduce weight - it will also make the cover more flexible.

3. If you don't plan to use the Oberon case as a landscape viewing stand, you can cut the platform loop cord. This removes the "knots" which are tucked into the rear pocket, and makes the case much flatter.

4. I also found a trophy shop where they were able to personalize my case, by laser-engraving my name on the inside cover bottom left corner.

Webwrangler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget saddlebackleather.com which has iPad 1 and 2 cases, as well as a satchel for an iPad plus "other stuff".

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yoobao-GENUINE-Magic-iPad-Protector/dp/B00478UN3A/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp"]Yoobao V4 leather case[/ame] for my MIL for Christmas. I think it is a classy and well made case and has held up very well thus far. I may have to get one for my iPad.

Titanium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4. I also found a trophy shop where they were able to personalize my case, by laser-engraving my name on the inside cover bottom left corner.

Oh I love this idea, I think I will look around and find someone to have this done, thanks!

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just received the new version of the black case. All new orders from Amazon should receive this version. Initial thoughts/observations are as follows:

Not so sure about that. I only received my smelly one about a week ago from Amazon. I assumed it would be the new version but it was not.

And, to update again, a few days in the garage worked wonders. The case now smells fine.

Just don't want folks flipping out when they get it. Let it air out a few days and you'll be good to go. We shouldn't have to do that with new cases but it's a heck of a lot easier than sending it back and it IS a nice case.

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just received the new version of the black case. All new orders from Amazon should receive this version. Initial thoughts/observations are as follows:

Not so sure about that. I only received my smelly one about a week ago from Amazon. I assumed it would be the new version but it was not.

And, to update again, a few days in the garage worked wonders. The case now smells fine.

Just don't want folks flipping out when they get it. Let it air out a few days and you'll be good to go. We shouldn't have to do that with new cases but it's a heck of a lot easier than sending it back and it IS a nice case.
I waited to order until the description on Amazon was updated just last Friday (4/22) to reflect the new version. Prior to placing the order, I confirmed with the seller via e-mail that it indeed was the new version that was now being shipped (very prompt an courteous response, by the way). Good to hear that yours is fine after the airing out period.

By the way, thanks for the link to the review. I agree that this case is a great way to, "Quality Your Lifestyle." :)

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey tzimisce, thanks again I placed the order with Oberon moments ago, what a find. I got the saddle tree of life

No worries - all their products are handmade-to-order (usually within 2-3 business days) so there's no question of "out of stock" since your item doesn't come into existence until after you've ordered it. The green tree of life was a very close second choice for me (I have a blue roof of heaven), so I know exactly how it feels.

I have misgivings about their iPad 2 covers because of the lack of the rear camera port and magnetic activation - but in every other regard, the quality of craftsmanship and design is exceptional. Sometimes I'm in meetings with two or three other iPad users in the room, and invariably they have some sort of serious-minded, corporate-looking leather case - I've recognized Sena and Jack Spade. The Oberon, on the other hand, makes a very bold statement about how cool her owner is. :)

And, as any Oberon owner can tell you, the pictures don't even come up to a fraction of actually having one in your hand.

First I would like to give a big hug and thank you to Oberon service and
Eileen ([email protected]) not only did she answer my question but she also called to go over exactly how to use the Apple cover and make it work. I took the phone conversation one step further after playing with the Apple cover and my Oberon Tree of Life case. It seems that the magnetic catch is located on the top right hand side of the iPad 2, just below the bungie cord. A quick trip to Home Depot and $1.80 (plus tax) later I had in my hand a self sticking magnetic (about 1/2 inch in width) coil. By carefully cutting the magnet to length (just bellow the bungie cord and at the center tab, bingo I had an Oberon magnetic latch like the Apple cover. One trick I found is to bring the magnet in about 1/4 inch from the edge to enable a better contact, trick two is to keep the magnet off the bungie cord and the center tab. My next step will be to try and locate a similar magnet in strip form with a little more strength.

IMG_0746.jpg

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One trick I found is to bring the magnet in about 1/4 inch from the edge to enable a better contact, trick two is to keep the magnet off the bungie cord and the center tab. My next step will be to try and locate a similar magnet in strip form with a little more strength.

I don't know if a smaller, circular magnet placed correctly would look more elegant - but sorry, that visible strip sitting on the inside of the case is just... fugly.

Looks and workmanship aside, I think Oberon have missed the mark on this one by not taking the effort to design a proper iPad 2 case with the rear camera hole and magnetic activation. It falls short of the usual high standards of quality I've come to expect from their brand. Sorry...

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
So I got my Sena Florence case, which shipped at the promised date and crossed the atlantic in only 3 days.

First the good thing. The leather is smooth and feels very nice. And it smells like leather and very subtle.

On the front side the leather on the edges the leather is several millimeters off. Sena told me the leather will after a few days fit better. I really hope it does as right now front camera pic is 1/4 covered by the front leather. If this doesnt change I will return it.

The bad is that the automatic on off feature doesnt work. I dont really care about it but others may do.

More in a few days.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
I don't know if a smaller, circular magnet placed correctly would look more elegant - but sorry, that visible strip sitting on the inside of the case is just... fugly.

Looks and workmanship aside, I think Oberon have missed the mark on this one by not taking the effort to design a proper iPad 2 case with the rear camera hole and magnetic activation. It falls short of the usual high standards of quality I've come to expect from their brand. Sorry...

I agree on the look of the magnet. It was a first shot at trying just see it the idea would work. I have ordered both smaller and slightly thicker noeo magnets that are round and I am waiting for them to come. As for the camera hole perhaps it is an issue of the leather's thickness. BTW the yellow/brown color is from the reflection of the LED flash. Actually it is black. On the final version I plan to use black micro cleaning cloth on to to blend in with the inside of the case.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree on the look of the magnet. It was a first shot at trying just see it the idea would work. I have ordered both smaller and slightly thicker noeo magnets that are round and I am waiting for them to come.

You mean neodymium magnets? A word of warning, though: you need to handle those with care, as they are amongst the strongest types of permanent magnets in the world, and can cause damage to electronic devices by virtue of their field strength --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet (look especially under "Hazards".) I have no idea how the iPad could be affected by the proximity of such strong magnets, but I personally wouldn't take that risk.

I guess the two DIY methods which would need to be done to retrofit/adapt the Oberon cover would be:

1. locating and manually drilling a hole on the back cover to create the rear camera aperture. Could be harder than it sounds, especially getting the camera position spot on.

2. carefully inserting the requisite magnets into the front cover (as Oberon leathers are laminated double-layered hides) so that they'll activate the device, but remain embedded/hidden in the leather, similar to the magnetic clasp on their cellphone cases. If that doesn't work, a small discreet magnet stuck to the inside cover would have do to. I'd probably even try to get hold of a smartcover to see how Apple did it.

drbb398tx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there!

Have you taken a look at the Portenzo cases? they seem to give the dodo cases some interesting competition. I was hesitant getting one, went for the gumdrop instead. You will find some really nice leather cases there as well.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an Oberon Journal and love it! When I decided to pull the trigger on a nice leather case I actually went with SaddleBackLeather iPad Accessories: Leather iPad Cases & Covers for my new ipad and absolutely love this too! Amazing quality, supple sturdy leather, stitching is top notch, nothing bad I have found with this case at all. I had to take it off one day so my husband could take it to work and show a couple people and they ended up ordering it too. I'm a daily ipad user, it travels with me everywhere and I have no regrets in this purchase at all. Although...I may end up getting the Oberon case too, I never use my Oberon Journal anymore since I have journal apps!

Most reactions

Latest posts